The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ITB experiences
Old 28th August 2016
Gear Nut

ITB experiences

As far as I understand, you're fully ITB when it comes to mixing. I was wondering if you could share any insights you have regarding getting the best results while mixing in the digital realm.

Thank you so much for doing this!
Old 30th August 2016
special guest

ITB

This is a tough one for me to explain sometimes. I mixed songs for 30 plus years on consoles and tape , then started a half digital/ analogue format for a while and have been fully in the box for the past 7 or 8 years. I don't know that I approach mixing a song in a different way just because I am working in one or another of those formats. I do keep the level at my Master buss with no pug-ins activated at a lower level than I would on analogue. With all of the master buss plug-ins deactivated my level will be around -9 to -6 db and I bring up the level with a combination of plug-ins. When the Master gets to hot to me it feels like it collapses a bit in the stereo field to me. Other than that my layout is almost identical to what I would do on a console.

p.s. I used A LOT of patch cables and outboard gear!
Old 30th August 2016
Lives for gear

Speaking of master buss processing... What are you using these days on your 2buss? Any go-to moves you find yourself doing often? Cheers!
Old 30th August 2016
Gear Maniac

The interesting question for me is: what's your motivation to do so? To get away from analog recording, going into digital, then again using (analog, I guess) outboard gear for processing / mixing.

Not wanting to break a general discussion here about ITB vs OTB. Just curious as to what are other folk's reasons.

The simplicity of DAW usage for recording? (and is that statement true at all?) And then again the sound of some outboard gear you haven't yet found in plug-ins?
Old 30th August 2016
special guest

ITB

I use a combination of a few different compressors. a UAD Shadow Hills UAD G series SSL , and A UAD Manley VMU
I also use the UAD Curve Bender ,ATR 102, and the K Stereo.

For me with the amount of mixes I do every year ( about 400 +) i just couldn't make it work in analogue as the recall time alone would kill me.As long as I can get the sound I want and am able to get it back quickly ,it doesn't really matter to me what format I use. I will probably work with Fleetwood Mac again this year mostly in analogue ,but we will have a studio locked out so I don't have to worry about recalls as much.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search