The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Octamed and sequencing before Ableton
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Octamed and sequencing before Ableton

1. How did you record in the past in early 2000ths before Ableton. How do you sync stuff and what else (except Octamed) you've used for sequencing? What was the process of creation back then?
2. How did used Octamed and have you use it together with external gear?
3. Have you abandoned your Mono/Poly?
4. How do you like modern breed of new affordable analog polys: Korg Minilogue, Behringer Deepmind etc.

Last edited by redloheb; 1 week ago at 07:11 AM..
Old 1 week ago
special guest

Hello radloheb,

1. There were some phases, I started out with the Amiga with Octamed and then I also got a cheap Atari ST with a copy of Cubase, a total different approach on sequencing. With Octamed you really ‘program’ your tracks, almost Roland MC8 sequencer style…with the Atari ST Cubase you could enter the notes with the mouse or play more freely with a MIDI keyboard.
I used both Amiga and Atari and sometimes I would use them together (have the Amiga synced by the Atari or vice versa)
Sometimes I didn’t use any computer at all and just use the sequencers on the synths and drum machines, like the SH101, Pro One…syncing the arpeggiators with a Roland TR808/707/606

Around 2006 I started to use The Yamaha RM1X which is an incredible hardware sequencer, for me one the best ever made. Stuff like the TEAC LIFE is almost 100% RM1X.

2. Octamed (version 3 or 4 and up) could sequence MIDI and do stuff like MIDI sync, so with an Amiga MIDI interface I could control any MIDI synth, and with a MIDI to CV converter (I had a Kenton Pro 2000Hz) I could sync my TR808/TB303 and play CV/GATE synths. Before I had the Kenton I used a TR707 to sync the TR808/303/606/202, if you use the 707 as the master clock machine you can use it as rudimentary MIDI to 24sync converter.

Octamed and MIDI ran super fast on an Amiga 1200 and the tracking style of programming was kind of cool and different, it has a very hardware-esque feel to it….and the fact that the Amiga was also a sampler was supercool, you could have 4 channels of samples running next to the MIDI.

question 3: No its very well alive and use it know and then, its my third Mono/Poly. First one I had in the 90s I traded for an MKS100, then I got one in 2002/3 together with a Minimoog I bought in Belgium, I made the Klaus Weltman - Cultus Island with that Mono/Poly…I sold it after that but then I got another one around 2008 and this one stays

question 4. I don’t know these particular synths but they seem cool I guess, I am quite saturated with analog poly synths in my studio so I don’t have a need for them really.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Speaking of trackers and hardware sequencers, have you seen this thing? NerdSEQ - XOR Electronics Even has a MIDI out expander and two sample tracks!

How does the RM1X compare to the RS7k (if you've tried that one)?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot, Danny!
Old 1 week ago
special guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retape View Post
Speaking of trackers and hardware sequencers, have you seen this thing? NerdSEQ - XOR Electronics Even has a MIDI out expander and two sample tracks!

How does the RM1X compare to the RS7k (if you've tried that one)?
I have seen that NerdSEQ, thats definitely entering the HARDCORE geek zone

I used the RS7000 in Orgue Electronique's studio. Ofcourse it has sampling and a better sound quality for its internal synth (or is that psychological?).

The thing I didn't like is that you have to load everything from cards, the RM1x just remembers everything automatically when you turn it off, no loading or saving necessary and thats very convenient for a lazy person like me...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search