The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Underground electronic music and social networks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Underground electronic music and social networks

Hi Danny! First thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. I'm a long time fan and I've been at several of your shows through the years.

With the perspective of someone who's grown in the pre-internet/pre-social networks era and coming from an underground scene you probably have a broader sense of how things have changed or are still changing regarding underground techno and electronica in relation to society and youth. I sometimes feel like those days in the 90s where there was a chaotic organization around raves for example, or how we approached things in the studio with no internet distractions or online social pressures, are definitely gone. I don't feel like the obsession to bring YouTube views and social likes to one's production has been a positive push for electronic scenes globally. What's more, it certainly brings the attention to "gear spotting" instead of the music itself, while fueling a certain uniformity in style and ways of presenting the art. Is everyone just posing for a certain social picture, like a perfect instagrammer version of yourself with your gear, or can we hope for a better, more authentic, spontaneous and why not, imperfect and dirty, ways of expression? I know there's no way back for technology and I don't want to sound like an old 4ss but some comments from younger folks turning away from this direction give me hope. I'd love to know your thoughts on this. Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
special guest

Hello Autoy,

Everybody wants attention or a littlebit of love on the social media, thats just very human

The worst of course are these shallow Ibiza yuppie music managers and DJs that only look at youtube views and soundcloud plays, that whole scene is so superficial, full of soulless people made even more perfidious by their brain rotting coke habits.

But I reckon this was also around before social media, uniformity has always existed and I truly think there is less uniformity now because scenes of completely weird music can exist globally through the internet…even if its 2 people living 5000 miles apart in little villages. Freaks of all kinds growing up in little mind numbing jock towns in the midwest (just to give an example) can now escape through the internet and find a whole world of fellow freaks and inspiration….probably literally saving their lives sometimes.

The internet is pretty cool, its the tv, radio and magazines of today, but then of course interactive and everyone can start their own radio/tv channel or magazine thats a lot more dirtier ‘grass roots’ in expression, The (cyber)punk D.I.Y. ethos has never been more alive I think. And there is a lot more stuff too like this forum I wouldn’t worry about it too much in the end the only thing we got to do is DESTROY EDM! (and superficial techno)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search