The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Let's talk samplers! Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 2nd October 2017
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Let's talk samplers!

-- Do you like them?

-- Do you use any nowadays?

Reason why i ask:

I have this weird fetish for them, hence why i bought one from each manufacturer, given nowadays they go peanuts. I was surprised how much inspiration and processing power lies inside, particularly monsters like ASR-10, E-IV and K2600S series.

Yes, software is way way faster, but sometimes it lacks some uber-cool features. Like, ASR-10 has some of the sickest looping algorithms inside that i've ever met. While FX section is to die for!! Instant Alan Wilder sound. E-MUs have excellent filters and insane matrix mod. Kerzwhile is a state of its own, one can grow grey hair until exploring all the features.
Old 2nd October 2017
special guest

Yeah I love samplers and use them too. They are great sound manglers, I see them as synths where you can use any sound as oscillators. I sample my own synths a lot, sample chords or little riffs and then loop them at weird points. Thats one of the reasons I make all those sample packs. Also the personality certain samplers have is, I guess one of the main things to still use them, that and quirky interface….like the manual labour you have to do to use them satisfies the brain more and you feel you did something more accomplished ;p

Samplers I still have:

Amiga 1200 4 channels of 8 bit crunchy sampling!

Roland MKS100 My first ‘professional’ sampler,…I used it a lot on Dark Days, 12 bit with very wooly warm sound but not weak a typical attribute of Roland samplers from that era. You could sample 4 samples of 1 second each (or was it 2 seconds) and save the entire 4 samples on 2 quickdiscs.

Akai S612 & S900
Korg Electribes and MicroSampler

EMU EMAX II which replaced my EMU EMULATOR II, love this thing such great filters…indeed EMU were masters at making smooth juicy liquid sounding digital filters that put a lot of analog ones to shame. And I really love the arpeggiator with all those chord functions…and the design neon pink letters on this giant black board with those weird oblong shaped rubber buttons...

I use software samplers a lot too, especially just the simpler in Ableton…I will sample my EMAX II, S612 or whatever in there…so i get double SAMPLING crunch ha ;p not that simpler has a lot of character in its sample playback, if any at all…but:

I made an Ableton FX thing that simulates the sound of various old samplers, might put it out soon, but I have to think up a name…I wanted EMU somewhere in there so I thought LEMURIA but it think there is already some software called that? Or else LEMURINE but then it has urine in the name thats not too cool…LEMURio? or just LEMUR…? Any suggestions are welcome!
Old 2nd October 2017
Here for the gear

Emution
Old 3rd October 2017
The name you are after is Sampulator, of course :-)
Old 3rd October 2017
Dem Emur (you see what I did there)
Old 4th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Is it ok to post ideas for name of that sampler template here mods? It seems like an open question.

I was thinking spacey/sci-fi with the original name.... R2-EMU instead of R2D2.... or how about the EMULCIFIER! Or EMUlation because it emulates iconic sounds? I love thinking up names!
Old 13th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Emunition
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search