The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
synthesizers synthesizers synthesizers
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

synthesizers synthesizers synthesizers

Thanks for answering some questions!
What was your first synthesizer, and what is your favorite synth today?
Old 2 weeks ago
special guest

I started like many with a Commodore Amiga running Octamed and a sample interface, thats not a synth of course but its still pretty badass…

My first real synthesizer was a Yamaha DX21 I bought it second hand with my dad around 1993 I guess, maybe 1994. I didn’t really have an idea what it was I thought it could make 303 type acid analog style sounds with it, so when I got back home and turned it on I was pretty disappointed. But then I just spend hours in my parents attic learning to program it when I came back from school everyday and realised it was a pretty amazing synth. My first analog synth that did what I expected was the Korg MS10, I still have it. I would run one of the commodore Amiga’s audio outputs through the MS10 filter, together with the DX21 going into an Inkel MX995 mixer….with that I had pretty much a decent setup.

My favourite synthesiser today...it always changes every week whatever I am using or programming...currently is the Roland D10...I love that thing just got it second hand after I did some work for Roland with the Roland D05 etc. last month. Back in the day we used a lot of D110 and I got some melancholical longing for it and wanted to know what I could program on it today and I am quite amazed. It sounds very different then the D50 but its capable of doing some amazing things and its especially more interesting because lot of people think its a whack synthesizer

I am trying to get a D5 (not be confused with D05) too that one has an arpeggiator and chord memory
Attached Thumbnails
synthesizers synthesizers synthesizers-screen-shot-2017-09-29-11.36.22.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wow, thank you Danny for such an in-depth and intelligent answer, it was also nice to hear about your relationship with your dad a little, as my ten-year-old son is just starting to get into synthesizers now, so I'm trying to keep his interest up without pushing it too hard. :-)

I also live near the Venice boardwalk so of course when I saw the cover of your new album I immediately recognized it. Who did the picture? Really looking forward to hearing the new stuff, keep up the good work!

Last edited by Reptil; 2 weeks ago at 05:24 PM.. Reason: -
Old 1 week ago
special guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24dB View Post
Wow, thank you Danny for such an in-depth and intelligent answer, it was also nice to hear about your relationship with your dad a little, as my ten-year-old son is just starting to get into synthesizers now, so I'm trying to keep his interest up without pushing it too hard. :-)

I also live near the Venice boardwalk so of course when I saw the cover of your new album I immediately recognized it. Who did the picture? Really looking forward to hearing the new stuff, keep up the good work!
I drew the picture myself with a fineliner and some colouring pencils
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legowelt View Post
I drew the picture myself with a fineliner and some colouring pencils
Great job! Thanks again Danny, keep up the good work
Old 2 days ago
Wonderful that you have such enthusiasm for these old digital synths, I almost thought I was last man standing in this area. I’ve made a Lately Bass killer on my D-20. But the user interface is really cryptic and so-so compared to the amazing D-50 design. But the D-5/10/20 are much quicker to work with. Are there any Atari editors? Geerdes K4 softworkstation was lovely but I don’t know how to find a new disk with that. The Steinberg D-50 editor looks stunning too but I have only seen a screendump of it. Do you use ST’s?
Old 2 days ago
special guest

I actually find the D10/20 easier to edit from the machine itself

Just press - Edit -> Tone -> and then you can select the synthesis functions with the display up& down buttons. Then select the sub functions (cut off /resonance etc.) with the bank number buttons and tweak that silder

There is an Atari ST D10 editor, probablyworks good in STEEM (Atari ST emulator)
I think it should be here Atari ST

I have an Atari ST (got one from a friend recently) and used one in the 1990s
Old 1 day ago
Cool man! Congratulations on your great success with the music! I am a friend of Chris / BMX here in Sweden, I think he knows you!

I also had an Atari back in the day and one winter day I felt like looking for one again. Found only one advertising at the time, and although I checked to look in the entire country, it was just 500 meters away out here in my village with 2000 people. I thought that was a fantastic sign ('o' the times).

Best Patrick / Bitley
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search