The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compressors vs. Limiters
Old 2nd March 2007
Gear Maniac

Compressors vs. Limiters

Hi Kevin,

What are some of the factors you consider when choosing between compressing vs. limiting for dynamics processing, particularly on lead vocals, drum OHs and bass? I know so much depends on the source material, but do you find yourself reaching for one type over the other more often on certain sounds? And how often do you use them for more "radical" processing where you can hear the effect working, as opposed to going for more transparent signal-leveling?

Cheers!
Old 3rd March 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMike View Post
Hi Kevin,

What are some of the factors you consider when choosing between compressing vs. limiting for dynamics processing, particularly on lead vocals, drum OHs and bass? I know so much depends on the source material, but do you find yourself reaching for one type over the other more often on certain sounds? And how often do you use them for more "radical" processing where you can hear the effect working, as opposed to going for more transparent signal-leveling?

Cheers!
Michael,

My first tendancy would be to use compression as i want to just control the peaks.
If I am looking to generate a more robust effect then I will gravitate towards brick wall limiting like that found in my distressor units. It can be a wonderful effect on drums and infact i used it a number of times whilst recording with Shakira in Vancouver at the Warehouse Studios.

If i have to mix really fast then I may also reach for the limiting device as time is my enemy but it can sometimes be a poor choice as it can make an element one dimensional. If I have a doubt I will err on the side of restraint and allow mastering be the final place to apply compression.

Kevin
Old 5th March 2007
Gear nut

Hey Kevin,

Do you use the distressor for tracking vocals?

Thanks buddy
Old 5th March 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt f View Post
Hey Kevin,

Do you use the distressor for tracking vocals?

Thanks buddy

Yes I do, although lately I have been relying on my Manley VU.

The distressor at 2:1 or 3:1 medium attack and release is a good starting point for vocals.

KK
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search