The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Violin on 'The Fog'
Old 27th February 2007
Gear Addict

Violin on 'The Fog'

Hi Kevin

Another big hello from the oul' sod! As an Irish producer/engineer, you've always been a big inspiration to me, especially the fact that you've made some of my favourite albums of all time (Elvis Costello, Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush are three of my favourite artists). For a while I nearly followed in your footsteps - studied in TCD in the late 80's (music student), but then Brian Masterson ruined it all when he didn't give me a tape op job in Windmill! (joking.....) Ah, never mind - I joined a band instead!

Anyway, what I'd like to ask you about is that incredible Nigel Kennedy violin solo on 'The Fog', from The Sensual World. It raises the hairs on the back of my neck every time I hear it, and I'd love to know how that part was tracked and mixed. I still put it on as a reference for people whenever violin is discussed - in a 'this is how good a violin can sound' kind of way... heh

Thanks for doing this - it's been a great month here!

P.S. Painted From Memory is an astounding album - I just wanted to add that!!

Cheers

Frank
Old 2nd March 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Frank,

How is the old sod ? I may have to go and imbibe a part of the dark stuff now....heh

If it makes you feel any better, Brian initially turned me down as well. They had just hired somebody and I had very little experience at the time. When he did approach me two years later I was ready for the pressure of "Windmill Lane" and I am indebted to his kindness and tutledge and genorisity over the years. Good on ya Brian !!

I did not get to record Nigle's part so I cannot take credit for that but in the mix I think I just used a LA 2A on it for compression and a plate verb. I mean he generates that tone all by himself, an engineers job is to stay out of the way which is so true of all the great players.

Glad you like PFM, I particularly love the fact that the album goes from bone dry on "In The Darkest Hour" to the lushness of "God Give Me Strenght". I really learnt a lot on that project.

Keep up the good work, by the way what was the name of the band you joined?

Kevin
Old 2nd March 2007
Gear Addict

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the info - great stuff! I listened to PFM again yesterday - that album blows me away every time, both musically and sonically. An absolute gem! Working with Burt Bacharach and Elvis Costello together must have been quite an experience alright.

So how's the old sod? It's pretty cold at the moment! And houses are ludicrously expensive, and Dublin is so congested it's like a giant car park half the time... But that doesn't bother me now - I moved out to the depths of Meath a while back, and getting stuck behind a tractor is the closest I get to a traffic jam now!

Yes, Brian is a great guy by all accounts - I've only met him briefly but my brother has done a fair bit of installation/wiring work for him. I'd love to have had the chance to be mentored by someone like him but, well, it didn't work out that way. I ended up going it on my own with a 4 track, then an 8 track, then a DAW. A different kind of learning curve - trying to get decent sounds with crap gear and gradually getting better at it, rather than starting out in a great room with great gear and a great mentor.

Anyway, you asked about the band - we were called The Way It Is, there were 10 of us at one point, and we were never famous, apart from a few appearances on RTE and a couple of singles which made the Top 20. I left the band shortly after the time of The Commitments - we actually auditioned for Alan Parker in the Waterfront - remember that place? Funnily enough, Eamonn Flynn played keys on the album, and his sister is now married to my brother! It's a small world...

Frank
Old 4th March 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Funk View Post
Hi Kevin

Thanks for the info - great stuff! I listened to PFM again yesterday - that album blows me away every time, both musically and sonically. An absolute gem! Working with Burt Bacharach and Elvis Costello together must have been quite an experience alright.

So how's the old sod? It's pretty cold at the moment! And houses are ludicrously expensive, and Dublin is so congested it's like a giant car park half the time... But that doesn't bother me now - I moved out to the depths of Meath a while back, and getting stuck behind a tractor is the closest I get to a traffic jam now!

Yes, Brian is a great guy by all accounts - I've only met him briefly but my brother has done a fair bit of installation/wiring work for him. I'd love to have had the chance to be mentored by someone like him but, well, it didn't work out that way. I ended up going it on my own with a 4 track, then an 8 track, then a DAW. A different kind of learning curve - trying to get decent sounds with crap gear and gradually getting better at it, rather than starting out in a great room with great gear and a great mentor.

Anyway, you asked about the band - we were called The Way It Is, there were 10 of us at one point, and we were never famous, apart from a few appearances on RTE and a couple of singles which made the Top 20. I left the band shortly after the time of The Commitments - we actually auditioned for Alan Parker in the Waterfront - remember that place? Funnily enough, Eamonn Flynn played keys on the album, and his sister is now married to my brother! It's a small world...

Frank
Frank,

Well at least you found your path and that is what life is all about. Tell Eamonn I say Hi

KK
Old 5th March 2007
Gear Addict

Hi Kevin

I'll make sure to pass it on!

Frank
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search