The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Under pressure
Old 27th February 2007
Gear maniac

Under pressure

Hi Kevin,

These days I guess being an experienced engineer that you don't run into so many situations now (compared to when you started) where you find yourself a bit out of your depth, or doing something you have little experience with.

But do you still run into situations where you feel the pressure coming on? Do you have an approach to dealing with it so that you can focus on the task at hand rather than lose the plot? Did you feel much a pressure as a young engineer?

Thanks,

Pete
Old 2nd March 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsy View Post
Hi Kevin,

These days I guess being an experienced engineer that you don't run into so many situations now (compared to when you started) where you find yourself a bit out of your depth, or doing something you have little experience with.

But do you still run into situations where you feel the pressure coming on? Do you have an approach to dealing with it so that you can focus on the task at hand rather than lose the plot? Did you feel much a pressure as a young engineer?

Thanks,

Pete
Pete,

As an engineer I draw on past experinces to help navigate todays issues. Clearly there are the straighforward technical issues , the slightly more difficult personality disfunction issues and the lack of real budgets. Some are obvious and you need to have the confidence and humility to overcome them, but yes I still get a little nervous before the start of a session, particularly a new client. I want tot do a good job and have them enjoy the experince of collaborating with me but sometimes clients will place unrealistic expectations on you and the project and managing those can be the biggest undertaking of a project.

The pressure is always there, whether its self induced or otherwise. That can be used as a good motivator too. I take great satisfaction from having a client delight in my contribution, as do many other creative people out there.

Todays pressure's often revolve around budgets, having to accomplish so much in little time. I just finished tracking a record yesterday, 12 songs, drums , bass, guitars , keys and live vocals in three and a half days. I knew it was going to be tough and that everything had to work without a glitch. So I prepared for the gig by hiring great players, a great studio. I had a wonderful assistant and we planned out the layout of the room in advance and had numerous discussions with the players and artist in advance so that everyone was on the same page.

I drew from my experience and luckily everything went smoothly but I did feel the pressure of time and expectations. In todays climate, its hard not too.

Kevin
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search