The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Creating An Album that Sounds good on computer speakers/Ipods
Old 27th February 2007

Creating An Album that Sounds good on computer speakers/Ipods

I can't help but notice that most of the music I listen to (and my generation), is generally through an Ipod (small headphones), or through computer speakers. With that said I am just starting to record music and was wondering how to cater towards these mediums. How can I make a song sound BETTER on an ipod or computer speakers? Is this mostly in the mastering process? Or are there recording and mixing techniques I can use to specifically aim my sound towards these music devices. Thanks!!!!
Old 1st March 2007
Gear addict

Cut a mix using ipod headphones. You should be able to get it to sound good. That will probably not be the same for other mediums however.
Old 2nd March 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsuga View Post
I can't help but notice that most of the music I listen to (and my generation), is generally through an Ipod (small headphones), or through computer speakers. With that said I am just starting to record music and was wondering how to cater towards these mediums. How can I make a song sound BETTER on an ipod or computer speakers? Is this mostly in the mastering process? Or are there recording and mixing techniques I can use to specifically aim my sound towards these music devices. Thanks!!!!

In general I think the best approach to take is to mix for the real world and allow the mixing and mastering process to yield the results you desire. Because there are so many different computer speakers out there, plus MP3 players and algorithyms , its virtually impossible to mix specifically for this medium. Plus most of the playbacks are so thin sounded I am not sure that the reverse translation would be ideal.

Kevin
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search