The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nasio
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

Nasio

Hey Kevin, love the work you did on Universal Cry with Nasio Fontaine.
Care to comment on the sessions? I believe you did additional recording at Realworld?
How was the mixing process and will we hear dub versions soon?

Incidently, I just finished mixing an album with fellow Dominican artist
I Zionman. I dont now if you've had the chance to visit the Nature Island but if not I highly recommend it!

Cheers,
Old 3rd March 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozion View Post
Hey Kevin, love the work you did on Universal Cry with Nasio Fontaine.
Care to comment on the sessions? I believe you did additional recording at Realworld?
How was the mixing process and will we hear dub versions soon?

Incidently, I just finished mixing an album with fellow Dominican artist
I Zionman. I dont now if you've had the chance to visit the Nature Island but if not I highly recommend it!

Cheers,
I loved working on Nasio's album. Apart from the fact that both Nasio and his wife Helen are the sweetest people you could ever meet, the music is so inspiring. The record was beautifully produced by my friend Richard Evans (another ex Real World Alumni) and it was he who suggested me to Nasio. Understandably Nasio was a little unsure as I has ZERO reggae credits but Richard assured him that I was perfect, given the vocal stlylings. I went up to Long View Farms in Connecticut to mix ( the majority of the album was cut there with some overdubs at Real World. I did not do any tracking on the album !) We met and immediately hit it off. When he heard me approach the first mix , Nasio was convinced so our bond just grew throughout the week.

Whats is wonderful about reggar music is the whole venacular used to describe the instrumentation:

Biff Baff = Drums
Melody = Bass
Bubble and Squeak = Hammond Organ
Skank or Chink = Guitar
Voice = Vocals
BVees= Backing vocals

So Nasio Helen and Richard gave me the crash course and off I went. Once you realize that the bass is the anchor element, its a very visual genre of music to mix.
The whole record was mixed in six days on a NEVE 8078 to half inch and we went straight to Bob Ludwig to master. Nasio really embraced me as a fellow spirit and I have a standing invitation to visit Dominica. I hope some day soon to take him up on his offer. Helen would cook two meals for us every day to nourish our souls and I really want to do another record.

I am not sure about a dub version, I am sure Nasio has somebody in mind for that !

Keep the bass pumping !!heh
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

Great!
Thanks and dont miss out on that standing invitation...

Irie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Killen View Post
I loved working on Nasio's album. Apart from the fact that both Nasio and his wife Helen are the sweetest people you could ever meet, the music is so inspiring. The record was beautifully produced by my friend Richard Evans (another ex Real World Alumni) and it was he who suggested me to Nasio. Understandably Nasio was a little unsure as I has ZERO reggae credits but Richard assured him that I was perfect, given the vocal stlylings. I went up to Long View Farms in Connecticut to mix ( the majority of the album was cut there with some overdubs at Real World. I did not do any tracking on the album !) We met and immediately hit it off. When he heard me approach the first mix , Nasio was convinced so our bond just grew throughout the week.

Whats is wonderful about reggar music is the whole venacular used to describe the instrumentation:

Biff Baff = Drums
Melody = Bass
Bubble and Squeak = Hammond Organ
Skank or Chink = Guitar
Voice = Vocals
BVees= Backing vocals

So Nasio Helen and Richard gave me the crash course and off I went. Once you realize that the bass is the anchor element, its a very visual genre of music to mix.
The whole record was mixed in six days on a NEVE 8078 to half inch and we went straight to Bob Ludwig to master. Nasio really embraced me as a fellow spirit and I have a standing invitation to visit Dominica. I hope some day soon to take him up on his offer. Helen would cook two meals for us every day to nourish our souls and I really want to do another record.

I am not sure about a dub version, I am sure Nasio has somebody in mind for that !

Keep the bass pumping !!heh
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search