The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amos Lee
Old 25th February 2007
Gear maniac

Amos Lee

Hi Kevin, I was scrolling down your long list of work and achievements, and I saw Amos Lee. This was one of my favorite albums to come out in a long time!
Can you give us a little insight on your work with this one?
Thanks-
Old 27th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Eric,

I just mixed this album last summer at Avatar Studios in NYC. Amos, Barry McGuire the producer and Eli Wolf from Blue note all specified that the record sound organic and not hyped up. And they really wanted Amos front and center.

Given that is my natural inclination it was a fairly straight forward mix, the production was excellent and Amos is a great writer and performer. I tried to stay out of the way as much as I could but also help bring real focus to the songs. It was mixed in studio b at Avatar, on the J Series SSL to half inch. All the drums are essentially dry with one exception. I tried to bring out the natural ambience by using different kinds of compression, Neve 33609, Distressors, and C4 Multiband compressor.

Amos has a distaste for overly bright sounding vocals and tracks so I used a Neve 1064 A for the resonance and the Millennia NSEQ2 for the air. A Manly VU compressor was utilized for controlling the peaks. Playback was from ProTools HD.

I love this record myself.

Thanks
Old 27th February 2007
Gear maniac

Thank Kevin, Great job!
Let us know if you are ever out here in Maui
Old 3rd March 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdevine View Post
Thank Kevin, Great job!