The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
headroom
Old 25th February 2007
Gear Head

headroom

HI,
so ive never posted here but have been checking it out for a couple years now. Im just wondering where you like to have the levels, -3, -6, etc... going into the mic pre and going to pro tools. I know some people love to slam everything, but where do you feel is the best place to go with it? And by the way...thank you for being so open with everything youve been ansering, its rare to find someone like you!!!!
-pat-
Old 27th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eight16 View Post
HI,
so ive never posted here but have been checking it out for a couple years now. Im just wondering where you like to have the levels, -3, -6, etc... going into the mic pre and going to pro tools. I know some people love to slam everything, but where do you feel is the best place to go with it? And by the way...thank you for being so open with everything youve been ansering, its rare to find someone like you!!!!
-pat-

Generally i think its okay to have your levels peak around -6 in Protools , that gives you a little extra headroom should you need it.

KK
Old 3rd March 2007
Gear nut

what about the other way around? what would you say is the lowest you should let it drop.
lets say someone's vocal performace goes from really quiet to loud, or back and forth. i usually try and ride the output on the pre a little bit, but how low do you think it is okay to let it go?
Thanks
Old 4th March 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha fingers View Post
what about the other way around? what would you say is the lowest you should let it drop.
lets say someone's vocal performace goes from really quiet to loud, or back and forth. i usually try and ride the output on the pre a little bit, but how low do you think it is okay to let it go?
Thanks

Well it would be relative to the peak of the performance but maybe around -25 to -30.
If it seems like its losing some clarity down there then raise up the record level.

Kevin
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search