The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording Vocals and Piano at the same time
Old 22nd February 2007
Gear Nut

Recording Vocals and Piano at the same time

Kevin,
You mentioned that with Tori Amos, you recorded the Piano and Vocal together. Do you do anything to try to isolate the two from one another, such as blankets over the piano, or do you just go for it and not worry about separation? Also, any particular mic choice and placement on piano for this application you care to share? Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 22nd February 2007
krs
Lives for gear

great question...yes please!!
Old 22nd February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butler View Post
Kevin,
You mentioned that with Tori Amos, you recorded the Piano and Vocal together. Do you do anything to try to isolate the two from one another, such as blankets over the piano, or do you just go for it and not worry about separation? Also, any particular mic choice and placement on piano for this application you care to share? Thanks in advance.

Mike
Mike,

Well as I said on another thread, I was not involved in those recordings. But Eric Rosse who produced those tracks did tell me that they used some blankets and created a foam or wodden barrier that was placed between the lid and the frame. I believe Tori used a custom 47 and they combination of the above and good vocal technique reduced the bleed to an acceptable amount.

I would tend to do the same and use blankets or maybe some small condensors in the piano like the Schoeps CMC 5's and a large diaphram mic on hypercardoid . But bleed has to be part of the performance, its just not resonable to expect anything other.

The only way to avoid that is to have the piano have a midi interface that records the performance into a sequencer which can the be manipulated for time. When the midi transmission is reversed back to the piano, then you can re-record the performance without any bleed. You most likely will have some piano bleed on the vocal mic and you have to be careful in terms of a slight chorusing effect between the original and the modified piano part. Pat Leonard utilized this method a number of years ago to great effect with an artist named Casey Stratton and it really does work.

Hope that answers your question

Kev
Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Sheet rock box underneath all the blankets. What a pain in the ass. glad i had nothing to do with it other then snapping some pictures.

Old 23rd February 2007
Lives for gear

oops. Didn't notice that this was a special forum until after I posted the pics. Sorry.
Old 24th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
oops. Didn't notice that this was a special forum until after I posted the pics. Sorry.

No problem. A picture is often worth a tousand words.... so thanks

Kevin
Old 24th February 2007
Gear maniac

vocal piano

i forgot who told me this, but this technique was used maybe at cbs??? for an artist

they built a special wall where the piano would slide in like a card in a slot, the slot/wall had foam all around the points where the piano would meet it. the wall stopped right above the pinblock, so effectively you could sing and play piano at the same time with no bleed.
Old 25th February 2007
Gear Nut

That makes sense in a situation where you might want to replace any part of the Piano or Voice by itself, or if you are tracking with other instruments in the room. But, if your goal is to capture a single Piano/Vocal performance, do you still feel the need to isolate? If so, why? It seems to me that it would be easier to deal with the natural sound of the piano bleeding into the vocal mic, than the sound of a piano with a blanket over it bleeding into the vocal mic.

Thanks again,

Mike

I guess its all in the ear of the beholder....
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search