The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lead Vocal Plug ins
Old 13th February 2007
Lives for gear

Lead Vocal Plug ins

Thanks so much for taking time to answer questions.

I am slowly trying to move to ITB mixing. But it's really hard to get the same depth and feel without the outboard gear. The toughest part is the lead vocal.

Would you be so kind as to share some of your go to plugin compressors or processing for lead vocals? It might give some of us a good starting point to experiment.

Thanks again!
Old 16th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Johnny,

Yes it can be a different transition. The typical problem that I encountered was that I expected the plug ins to sound and react like a piece of hardware. I began just closing my eyes and just tweaking on the controls to find a sound I liked. Once satisfied I would look at the settings and I began to accumulate a base of knowledge on that piece of software.

For vocals I have had good success with any of the following plug ins .

Sony Oxford EQ
Renaissance EQ
Pultec EQ
Waves C4

For Compression

Sony Compressor
Renaissance Compressor
TC Master X
LA2A
L2

I find that with the eq , the curve looks more extreme than a hardware piece and the converse is true for the compressors, definitely less is more. Sometimes it helps to have a number of each. Just experiment and find out what sounds good to your ear.

Hope this helps

Kevin
Old 17th February 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for all your great insights Kevin. Very generous of you.

If you like the L2 on vocals, I assume you're bussing to a stereo AUX for that...

Jack
Old 18th February 2007
Kevin, don't you find the forced assymetry (especially on the lowshelf) in the Renaissance EQ bothersome as it causes resonance
Old 21st February 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Kevin, don't you find the forced assymetry (especially on the lowshelf) in the Renaissance EQ bothersome as it causes resonance

To be honest , I do not. But then again I use the lowshelf judiciously. !heh

KK
Old 28th February 2007
Lives for gear

Regarding the LA2A and Pultec plug-ins: do you know if these are the UA TDM versions or the Digi/Bombfactory versions? Thanks!
Old 3rd March 2007
Gear Head

C4

On the C4, are you using it to shape the sound in addition to compressing it (vocal lift, etc) , or just catching the peaks here and there for a more pleasing sound?

Yes I use it for both. kk
Old 3rd March 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
Regarding the LA2A and Pultec plug-ins: do you know if these are the UA TDM versions or the Digi/Bombfactory versions? Thanks!
I believe they are the UA versions but I will need to double check that.

KK
Old 4th March 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks, Kevin. By the way, I've really enjoyed reading your posts.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search