The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
It's just a Little Pre
Old 22nd February 2003
Gear nut

It's just a Little Pre

I would love to see this product get developed by Johnathan.

A modular mic pre that fits into his 1/4 rack space designs. That way I could buy a two unit rack and put in a couple pres, or a four unit one and put in a pair of pres and a couple IBPs. At a later date I could buy more pres and put my IBPs in another single rack space with my Multi zs. You see where I'm going with this.

Note to Johnathan:

You've already got a killer little line of DI's and tools that all seem to fit into the same rack space. But preamps are a hot ticket right now. Something clean and well designed like all of your other stuff would go over big. If you chose to put in an IBP switch on your little pre that would be deluxe. Can you fit this into a 1/4 rack space? Can you do it for around 5 or 6 bones? That way all of us hacks using PTLE and various other daws could buy one piece at a time and eventually build a whole new front end to our systems.

BTW, I meant 5 or 6 bones of my money not retail, although the two seem to be pretty close on your gear. Is that because you have a smaller market right now? I think that this could be a way to expand your market. But then again I'm using PTLE, and you're Johnathan Little so what do I know.
Old 22nd February 2003
Little Labs

Dear 1nation,
Thanks for saying nice stuff. I've been talking to alot of people on this mic pre subject. Fletcher called this week with some great input, and this thread "feature or fluff" has got my head ah scratching. It looks like I have to do two. One will fit in with the line of the ibp, the redeye, the multi Z, etc.. It will have to be the Little Labs basic pre and will be the $550 list price range. The other will be more along the lines of my custom mastering type stuff with all the features ibp built in inserts etc. super power supply and will be in the high end category with price that goes along with that. I know I can build a great pre in the $550 range, but I know I could also build an eat your mutha for lunch pre for $2k. Stay tuned rock fans... Or more humbly, I will try my best to please a few.
Old 22nd February 2003
Gear nut

This sound really promising!
My wish is: Build one basic pre with no bells and whistles, but use the same preamp as in the expensive one.....

Amund
Old 24th February 2003
Gear nut

" It looks like I have to do two. One will fit in with the line of the ibp, the redeye, the multi Z, etc.. It will have to be the Little Labs basic pre and will be the $550 list price range. The other will be more along the lines of my custom mastering type stuff with all the features ibp built in inserts etc. super power supply and will be in the high end category with price that goes along with that. I know I can build a great pre in the $550 range, but I know I could also build an eat your mutha for lunch pre for $2k. Stay tuned rock fans... Or more humbly, I will try my best to please a few."

Very, very very very very very very very cool

I'm just curious; would the "Eat your mutha fa lunch" pre be something like the Vipre and Origin where you have a lot of tonal options or are you thinking about making one distinct flavor?

Would you be so brave as to make a projection on the $550ish pre? How much are your rack kits? Do they come pre assembled or can I switch out modules myself? I'm very curious because I'm seriously contemplating picking up a pair of the IBPs and I want to know about my expansion options. Thanks, Paul.
Old 24th February 2003
Little Labs

The Little Labs EYMFL model will have some adjustable parameters for tonal control. The internal IBP being one of them and stereo summing.

The Little Labs basic pre... The rack kits can be installed your self carefully they are about $40. Blank panels about $4. I say about, because the machinist prices vary from week to week, like avocados. 4 units fit in a rack, mix and match!
Jonathan
Old 25th February 2003
Gear nut

Old 26th February 2003
urumita

It's always the same thing here.
hard wire switchable hot signal chaser and inverter
iron in or out (unbalance)
lo and hi filters (selectable stepped)
Variable impedance (4, 8, 16, 75, 150, 300, 600, 1.2k, 2.4k, 10k, 100k, 1M, 2MOhm)(selectable stepped)
mountains of pads (fleas legs rubbing a ribbon to +30 line)(selectable stepped)
Output trim (stepped)
A/B/C inserts switchable series or parallel (saves time making sounds)
12 (I always burn 8) busses, passive is just fine, includes odd even selecter or switchable pan and appropriate buss master assigns and trims.
Modern usable master section.
OK I'm stubborn but maybe someone will listen.
A usable (which it wasn't always) replacement for the Focusrite ISA 131 (never had enough headroom) (the new boxes aren't as useful, aside from the pre) ISA 131 with more headroom. Just copy the signal side chain flow and not the circuits and you should stay out of trouble.

the above mentioned items could be thought of in 4 seperate types of units. the input, the buss, the monitor section, the dynamics processor. I don't care how they could be linked together, I can make convenient patch bays!
sorry for being redundant
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search