The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where will Smart be in 5 years
Old 7th February 2003
Gear Guru

Where will Smart be in 5 years

OK Al,
You've mentioned the possible Pro Tools compatible hardware ?thingy?,
you've also talked about sidecars and mini consoles.
What actual products do you see yourself developing over the next few years?
I suppose a logical addition to the C1/C2 would be a similar 2 channel EQ unit. I've seen people recently looking for outboard SSL EQ. Never thought I'd see that day!
A progression along that train of thought would be a recording channel including a micpre, an eq and a single Smart compressor. Can't say I'm a fan of those type of units myself.
Anyway, you've asked us what we want, but what Smart developments can we reasonably expect to see in the next 5 years?yuktyy
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Where will Smart be in 5 years

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
A progression along that train of thought would be a recording channel including a micpre, an eq and a single Smart compressor. Can't say I'm a fan of those type of units myself.
Well if the individual parts have seperat I/Os like the UA6176 than it is ok to have it in one box.
Old 10th February 2003
Smart Research

We'll stay firmly in the area of analogue audio, but expanded now with the addition of David Prinold as chief digital designer (Euphonix CS mix system, Motionworker, SSL's Total Recall etc. etc.).

At the moment I can see ahead to four more analogue products: three more in the field of compression, and also in the pipeline is a universal input amp. Given the continued small mixer requests, and the previous (now 3) units I've done, basic eq units may well be a possibility.

With regard to a full EQ, I need about another year of work before I will be happy. This is something that I've not had the opportunity to do for a while, but I do intend to draw together all the ideas and circuitry I've collected over many years of nosing around audio... ..(it took me several years to finalise the preamp circuitry). I've had many requests though for the 'channel' format, so for instance the eq is the main remaining area of investigation.

Also tested is software (PC/Mac window) control for our future products, and some further ideas for the expansion of ProTools in the area of machine control...plus any number of hairbrained ideas such as a largely complete scheme for large format console. But you did say real products....sorry, I digress.

If gearslutz will allow, it would be great to explore some specifice ideas over the next couple of weeks. Give me a couple of days though as I'm now living in a 747 untill back in the UK on wednesday !

Al.
Old 10th February 2003
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Dailydb

At the moment I can see ahead to four more analogue products: three more in the field of compression,
With regard to a full EQ, I need about another year of work before I will be happy. This is something that I've not had the opportunity to do for a while, but I do intend to draw together all the ideas and circuitry I've collected over many years of nosing around audio... ..
If gearslutz will allow, it would be great to explore some specifice ideas over the next couple of weeks.
How many more compressors can you do! LOL
I very much look forward to seeing fellow Gearslutz input on 'some specific ideas'.
Great
Old 11th February 2003
Ditto!

May all your in-flight movies & meals be good ones!

Old 12th February 2003
Smart Research

They sent tanks and police to meet my flight at Heathrow. Which was nice. Did anyone mention I'd packed a kalashnikov ?

Anyway, what I wanted to ask first was….

1. Crush. For the C2, I had to combine all variables into the one mode as space allowed. Plus, I could guarantee a result. Following the good response I've had, I'd like to produce a separate unit to explore the full range of possibilities I just touched on in adding this to the C2. So, what do you guys like or dislike about crush, and what are you doing with it !. Can I go even further ?. For instance, the sucking effect it can produce, seemingly delayed and distorted room ambience on drums when really hitting it hard. The introduction of timing parameters to the sidechain would seem a good area to explore this further. Or, are milder settings going to prove more often used if made available?. (The EQ will become variable).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Al.
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Guru

Quote:
They sent tanks and police to meet my flight at Heathrow. Which was nice.
Briefly off topic.......
I was there. A tank rolled up in front of me.......err and a tv film crew.....coincidence?
I thought it was ridiculous.
Old 15th February 2003
Smart Research

Quite.

What exactly do you do with a tank, once you get in the terminal building ?

Grrrr?

Al.

PS: Super Crush: set the C2 ratio switch to 'stuck between settings'...anyone tried this ?
Old 1st March 2003
Gear Head

Quote:
They sent tanks and police to meet my flight at Heathrow. Which was nice.
Those guys at AVIS car rental really do try harder don't they. And I thought it was cool if I got a car with GPS but they never offered me a tank. heh

Lee
Old 1st March 2003
Hey where ever you are - thanks for doing this forum it was a blast!

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search