The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
IC replacements for 5534, 5532
Old 7th February 2003
Gear interested

IC replacements for 5534, 5532

I've been wondering if there's a good upgrade chip to replace the 5534 in the mic pre of a Neve VR channel.

Now that the dear old OP176 has been discontinued by AD, what's the best hi-spec replacement for a 5534? Is the AD797 a good sounding chip?

Some people seem to like replacing bi-polar ICs with FET input types, such as the AD825 or OPA604. What drawbacks if any are there in doing this??

regards,

otto

sony music studios, sydney
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

Good question!

I would like to know to! Since we have a Neve 5136, a Tascam 3700 and a ADT MT5.
I always thought about placing 2 or 3 alternativ opamps in the in the channel and use a switche to chose which sound I need.

Like have one that is kind of slow to mellow transients, one very quick for drums...

And is ther a easy way to fit something like a 990 or other discret opamp in to the place?!?
Old 7th February 2003
Gear addict

Re: IC replacements for 5534, 5532

Quote:
Originally posted by ottor
I've been wondering if there's a good upgrade chip to replace the 5534 in the mic pre of a Neve VR channel.

Now that the dear old OP176 has been discontinued by AD, what's the best hi-spec replacement for a 5534? Is the AD797 a good sounding chip?

Some people seem to like replacing bi-polar ICs with FET input types, such as the AD825 or OPA604. What drawbacks if any are there in doing this??

regards,

otto

sony music studios, sydney
I loved the OP176! The dual version, the OP275 is still available so I would go with that for the 5532 sub. I redid my MCI JH24 with these chips and I really like the results, it allowed me to DC couple the signal path in some places which is always a bonus.

The 604's tend to be prone to oscillation, so you have to be careful, but the nice thing is that they'll run on 24 volt rails so they can be used in a variety of situations. I'm searching for a good 5534 replacement as well, let's hope someone has found the solution. I've heard many people recommend the Phillips brand for 5532/5534's (AN version) apparently they sound better than anything else that's currently available.

Mark
Old 8th February 2003
Lives for gear

Linear's LT1468 is pretty good in place of 5534s for noise critical stuff like summing busses/ mic pres. HTH
Old 8th February 2003

The OP37 is also a good alternative to the the NE5534 and works in most places, less DC offset, but may need to look at the compensation capacitor.

It's a pity they do not still make the OP176.

Tim
Buzz Audio
Old 8th February 2003
Gear interested

Well, I've ordered some OPA627, AD797, OPA134 chips to check out. Might take a week or two for the right oppurtunity to present itself, but I'll let you know the subjective results!!

cheers,

otto
Old 9th February 2003
One with big hooves

Re: Re: IC replacements for 5534, 5532

Quote:
Originally posted by mplancke
I loved the OP176! The dual version, the OP275 is still available so I would go with that for the 5532 sub. I redid my MCI JH24 with these chips and I really like the results, it allowed me to DC couple the signal path in some places which is always a bonus.
Mark, when you redid the Jeep with the OP275 did you have to change anything else?
Old 9th February 2003
member no 666

TLO 71 / TLO 72... they don't necessarily spec as well... but they often sound better [as always... your mileage may vary]
Old 9th February 2003
Gear addict

Re: Re: Re: IC replacements for 5534, 5532

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
Mark, when you redid the Jeep with the OP275 did you have to change anything else?
They are a drop in replacement for the 5532's. Like I said in an earlier post, I was able to remove some of the coupling caps because of the lower DC offset with the OP275. It still sucks that they discontinued the OP176!

Mark
Old 9th February 2003
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally posted by The Buzz
The OP37 is also a good alternative to the the NE5534 and works in most places, less DC offset, but may need to look at the compensation capacitor.

It's a pity they do not still make the OP176.

Tim
Buzz Audio
It looks like the OP37 is specified as a replacement for the 5534 for gains of 5 or more, they recommend the OP27 for gains less than 5 from what I can see.

Mark
Old 10th February 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
TLO 71 / TLO 72... they don't necessarily spec as well... but they often sound better [as always... your mileage may vary]
Note however, the TL07x series do not have the same output current capability, they are not specfied for driving down to 600ohms like the 5532/4. 2kohms is about the limit before you loose headroom.

Another advantage of the OP275 and OP37 is they can run on +/-20V rails.

Tim
Buzz Audio
Old 10th February 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by mplancke
It looks like the OP37 is specified as a replacement for the 5534 for gains of 5 or more, they recommend the OP27 for gains less than 5 from what I can see.

Mark
Yes, but in practical use, it is possible to get the thing to work. The 5534 is only internally compensated for gains of 5 or more as well.

The OP27 also has a slower slewrate than the OP37.

Tim
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search