The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
how to get started in gear design
Old 4th February 2003
Gear maniac

how to get started in gear design

I'm interested in learning fundamentals....nothing crazy, but I'd like to understand the workings of all my gear and maybe rack up some mic pre(for myself not to market) Is there any easy way to start....maybe literature and what not?

Thanks
Old 5th February 2003
Little Labs

A book that I love for Electronics and I still pull it out about once a week is the ART of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill, Also the Audio Cyclopedia I think it might still be in print. That's a start...
Jonathan
Old 5th February 2003
Smart Research

I agree the Art of Electronics is king, as a complete reference. The 'Cookbook' series give useful ideas circuits also, spanning filter design, opamps, and discrete logic. The chip manufactureres own data sheets are there to help you use their stuff, so, for instance just Analog Devices can provide pretty much any audio circuit you may want....

Al.
Old 5th February 2003
Gear maniac

thanks alot guys....I appreciate the input. I'll check em out!!!
Old 5th February 2003
Gear Guru

Lightbulb Re: how to get started in gear design

Out,

> I'm interested in learning fundamentals <

Have a look at my Articles page:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

Besides The Hardware Tutor, which is an introduction to the basic concepts using no math, there are a lot of simple (and not so simple) audio circuits with explanations.

--Ethan
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

Finding info specifically about designing pro audio / recording gear is almost impossible, but a lot of DIY info that was written for the home HiFi DIY market is applicable to our recording gear. If you are near a major library (public or college) that has extensive holdings of old periodicals, you should check to see if the have back issues of Audio Engineering magazine, specifically the years 1947 - 1954. (in 54 they changed their name to "Audio" and left the pro audio topics to the new "Journal of the AES").

These early post-war years were a time of remarkable advancement in recording technology (tape recorders and condenser mics had been invented before the war, but they only became common studio tools in the late 40s to early 50s.) Much of the great analog technology was debuted and refined during those years and Audio Engineering explained it all. Great stuff.

If you can't find it in the library, copies show up on Ebay frequently. There are a couple of wise guys charging $20/issue, but if you look around you can usually grab them for $3 to $5 each.

steve
lex125@pacbell.net
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search