The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PCP Dynamic Microphones
Old 4th February 2003
Gear addict

PCP

I've got a Little Labs PCP which I use all the time, for splitting guitars, bass DI, running snare drums through distortion pedals, etc.

It's got enough i/o and functions, though, that I'm sure there are some applications I haven't thought of.

Jonathan, or anyone else who has one, what do you use yours for? What are some oddball uses that I might not have tried?
Old 5th February 2003
Little Labs

Here is one of Nick Raskulinez's Kick drum tricks which a lot of people do, but not this way. I don't know why he did it this way in the first place because there is other ways to do it, but he thinks it sounds cool. When I heard it, it definitely sounded better than running it through a line or mic in without the PCP, very Bonham ish. Take an NS-10 cone in front of the kick ( I know you have heard that before) feed that into the PCP XLR A (pins 2 &3) in, select that to the out channel A, feed the output into the instrument input and feed the console with the DI out . You can control the level with the trim adjust. Mix that with a standard mic adding as much of the PCP NS-10 cone to give that serious punch without going flappy.. You can also put the IBP in line (if you have one)with that you can vary the punch.... that part is the Wagener touch.

I don't actually engineer myself, but as a tech I sit in on many sessions and I still do today at a new studio called Chalice where I am the Electron Director.
Jonathan
Old 5th February 2003
I can see you with a bright yellow jacket!

"Electrons this way please, keep moving, thats it! move right along!"

Old 5th February 2003
urumita

I thought this was about the LoveBoatAngelDust, no? Where else can you find 8 Ohms to 600 ohms impedance matching?
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

Re: PCP

Quote:
Originally posted by mdbeh
I've got a Little Labs PCP which I use all the time, for splitting guitars, bass DI, running snare drums through distortion pedals, etc.

It's got enough i/o and functions, though, that I'm sure there are some applications I haven't thought of.

Jonathan, or anyone else who has one, what do you use yours for? What are some oddball uses that I might not have tried?
This may not be very novel, but it is works great:

When I'm mixing, I'll use the PCP as a kind of 'effects loop' for interfacing my guitar pedals with the console. I get down to instrument level through the PCP, and use the built in DI, my Little Labs DI, and my newly acquired IBP (if it is not in use otherwise in the mix) as the 'effects return' to get the signal back up to line level. The polarity switch is a big help, because certain pedals, like the original Sans Amp and the Memory Man, have inverted outputs.

I've never tried it before, but you could actually use the thing to combine mic pre outs or any other kind of line level output sources. You could plug them into the +4 ins, select which input you want to use and route them to the 1/4" output of your choice, and then do what Nick R did above with the NS-10 -- just take a cable and go from the 1/4" out on the front, and then go to the DI input. you'll have a line level combined signal at the DI XLR out...

Cheers,
John
Old 14th February 2003
Here's how I used mine yesterday on a "guitar overdub day"

I set up the bands Marshall head in the CR with their cab in the live room
I put up 121, SM 57 & D112 mic's on it.

I also set up my Engle head in the CR with the Engle cab out in the live area with a 441 mic on it.

NOTE: Last weekend when tracking the drums we took Di feeds of all gtrs, we used AmpFarm to simulate real amps just for a guide.. (presently I dont have space to record a kit AND back line at the same time)

So to test the new set up and get a rough sound up, instead of asking the guy to play over & over, I simply fed the guide DI out to the PCP, & sent that to the 2 amps (third feed to the tuner), this allowed us to get a rough sound with out him playing over & over (later I realized the musician had a very low "practice level" & really NEEDED to play it over & over).

While running the song and tweaking the amps and mic pre amps and adjusting the blend, I realized that there were phase issues between the 4 mic's.... So I thought to instance the "Signal Generator" plug in within PT and send white noise down the DI track, then grabbing some some headphones I went into the live area and plugged into the wall to listen to my monitor mix, featuring a track in 'record input' of all the mic's blended together...

Slowly moving the mic's I was able to reduce the out of phase sound until they all 'hissed' together nicely.

Back in the CR I then found that the various 4 mic's had very little 'subtractive' phase effect between em when combined. - Good!

I heard about this 'white noise mic set up' trick from an assistant describing how a producer engineer set up multi micing a SVT bass stack a few years ago.

Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

Holy Crap Jules. THANKS FOR A GREAT IDEA!!! Imma rock that ish tommaree'. So simple, like looking for your sunglasses on your forehead.
Old 14th February 2003
Coolio!

BTW

Pink noise might be better than white noisel to blast down the amp, I am unsure.. You can find both on studio 'test CD's".
Old 14th February 2003
Gear addict

Damn--that is a good idea.

Thanks everybody for their suggestions.
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Coolio!

BTW

Pink noise might be better than white noisel to blast down the amp, I am unsure.. You can find both on studio 'test CD's".
And of course ther is always the signalgenerator in ProTools and the generator X, which is also good to at a 40Hz tone under the kick!
Old 14th February 2003
Yes I only discovered Signal Generator plug in for PT a few months back, neat, ain't it!?
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

I like that stuff!
Could it be triggert via the input? Generator X could do that and you could adjust the attack and decay of the tone.

Dull snare? Just add a little noise via Generator X!
Old 14th February 2003
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search