The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where do our guest mods see recording going in future?
Old 6th February 2003
Gearslutz.com admin

Awe pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeze Uncle Brian! Tell us the STORY!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 6th February 2003
Lives for gear

Ohhhh.....alright then. This as told by Stephen St. Croix. Blame him if it turns out to be jive.

So Sony was developing a consumer video cassette recorder and had dropped some $$$ into the project as an initial test platform. They assessed their progress and decided there was in fact promise in the concept for consumers, but their initial efforts were not quite up to snuff as a saleable product.

So they decided to scrap the initial direction, take the lessons they had learned, and move on to fully developing the technology for release into the marketplace.

Meanwhile, Toshiba (or whoever it was) inquired with Sony about aquiring the technology from Sony's initial effort in order to begin research on video cassette technology for themselves. Sony, figuring the other company would never begin to catch up before Sony released their consumer video products, agreed to sell them the research technology.

And so, Sony sold their initial effort, that they had rejected as not ready for prime time, to recapture some R&D dollars. Their inital effort had been named Alpha. And Sony then moved on to finalize their real consumer video format, named of course, Beta.

Meanwhile, (surprise) the supposed research technology named Alpha was renamed to VHS and released to market before Sony completed developing Beta. Being first is sometimes better than being best in the dog-eat-dog world of consumer sales, as Sony learned at all of our expense.

Wild, eh?

Regards,
Brian T
Old 6th February 2003
Gearslutz.com admin

Neat!

I heard a story from Sony R&D staff that the Oxford console was merely an 'exercise' to flex the muscles of the digital audio software design computer systems they were developing (& have fully up & running today). and that from now on is supposed to be when it 'starts to get interesting'!

Old 6th February 2003
Smart Research

Jules,

I'd guess that, for sony, the entirety of our world of pro-audio is basicly viewed as a lost leader for R&D. The 3324, 3348, and sony Oxford must have generated less actual profit for them, than say, their Japan property maintenance division realised changing office buildings one year.

As an example, I heard that around 30 million pounds, and 13 years, were invested in the Oxford before their was anything to look at, and there are maybe 20 or so now sold after 16 years, less manufacturing costs.

At the vanguard (only) of digital audio technology, with a few notable exceptions, pro Audio is dependant on charity !

Al.
Old 7th February 2003
Gearslutz.com admin

Old 7th February 2003

Yeah, but sony really know what they were doing with oxford. They lost the video consumer war (and that's a pitty, cause ßcam was really better than VHS), but would have they achieve the commercial succes of DMXR100 without leading the digital consoles realm with the Oxford.
Everybody jumped on that little desk because of the confidence they had on Sony knowledge about digital desks.
The fact is that thoses two piece of gear have NOTHING in common in the end.

It reminds me how they were so clever when they released the first Walkman. They could have released a recording walkman from the begining, but they waited just to give the impression that they founded a technology that could compete with HiFi big system in a miniaturize little box.
That was so clever, marketingwise.

They are so many incredible story like that. Look at Philips : aren't the guy pissed to invent great concepts, and lose the market because they don't have a clue how to lead the market with their ideas.

Well, that bring us back to the begining of the thread : the creativity and the quality is not what makes people buy, marketing does.

malice
Old 11th February 2003
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally posted by malice

... the creativity and the quality is not what makes people buy, marketing does.
I actually disagree. VHS succeeded entirely because it was the first format that allowed you to watch a feature length movie uninterrupted and this enabled the creation of the video rental industry. This wasn't marketing, it was just lucking into being first with what most people in the real world wanted.

The reason MCI was succesful is that they brought together a team of leading studio-owners and engineers to define exactly what ought to be in a 24 track recording console and tape machine remote. The reason SSL was successful is that they were smart enough to build on what MCI's team had defined. The reason everybody else has failed is that they ignored it.

Quality doesn't seem to matter much but basic functionality wins every time. It hasn't nearly as much to do with marketing as most marketing people and trade magazine folks would like to believe.
Old 12th February 2003
I agree.
It's like the 'killer app' in computing.
Old 13th February 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
I actually disagree. VHS succeeded entirely because it was the first format that allowed you to watch a feature length movie uninterrupted and this enabled the creation of the video rental industry. This wasn't marketing, it was just lucking into being first with what most people in the real world wanted.
I can't remember well, but aren't Betamax tapes nearly as long as the first VHS ?

Quote:
The reason MCI was succesful is that they brought together a team of leading studio-owners and engineers to define exactly what ought to be in a 24 track recording console and tape machine remote. The reason SSL was successful is that they were smart enough to build on what MCI's team had defined. The reason everybody else has failed is that they ignored it.

Quality doesn't seem to matter much but basic functionality wins every time. It hasn't nearly as much to do with marketing as most marketing people and trade magazine folks would like to believe.

I totaly agree, I was more thinking about consumer products or semi pro products. If you take SSL, MCI, Protools HD etc, I agree with what you said.
BUT ...
I really think you might extend that "basic functionality" criteria to something like a "trendy" criteria. Studio where buying SSL because it was THE desk every good studio should have, the standart you couldn't do without, no matter if you didn't like the sound of it (well, I could name about a dozen desk I like better, at least). Same with Protools : Try to run a Studio without it, it is almost impossible, even if there are better sounding DAW system.

My conclusions saddly are similar to yours, Bob : How about the "sound quality" criteria ?

malice
Old 13th February 2003
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally posted by malice
I can't remember well, but aren't Betamax tapes nearly as long as the first VHS ?

I really think you might extend that "basic functionality" criteria to something like a "trendy" criteria.

VHS was the first able to accomodate a feature film by almost a year as I recall although it did not debut with that capability.

Certainly most music biz folk are junkies for "hipness" however there is nothing less "hip" than unpaid time wasted learning how to make a new console do what you want or even worse discovering that it simply can't do it.
Old 13th February 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson

Certainly most music biz folk are junkies for "hipness" however there is nothing less "hip" than unpaid time wasted learning how to make a new console do what you want or even worse discovering that it simply can't do it.
that reminds me the first contact with the Oxford

malice
Loading mentioned products ...
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search