The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Being heavy handed with eq
Old 22nd May 2013
Gear Addict

Being heavy handed with eq

Hey Howie!

Thanks for taking the time to give us all a peek inside your world of engineering. It's rare in any industry to get the time to pick the brain of such a well respected member.

I read in one of your other threads where you said most clients expect you to be rather heavy handed in the mastering process. In the last couple of months I have found that, if done carefully (and if it's needed), going pretty heavy on eq can really make a large impact on a mix that's less than ideal. What is your typical eq setup and philosphy for when things need a lot of fixing AND a lot of sweetening?

Thanks!
Andy
Old 24th May 2013
Mastering legend

Heavy handed is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes certain clients expect me to really dig in and take the mix to a new level. Other clients want the opposite and want their mix to be as pure as possible, just louder.

I have two Sontec EQs and an SPL 2500 EQ. They all sound different, and they blend nicely together and can really make things sound spectacular. SPL is very warm, and the Sontecs are very neutral. The small Sontec 250 has an amazing edge. I use the SPL first, big Sontec second, and small Sontec third.

I want to conclude by saying that I don't EQ just for the sake of it. It is all with intention and my goal is to make the master sound as good as possible, keeping the client involved the whole time.

Howie
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search