The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Loudness and clipping
Old 9th May 2013

Loudness and clipping

Brilliant to have you here

How do you decide how far to go with "loudness"? You mentioned in an earlier question that the top mixers are pretty much "there" when it comes to any adjustments. What sort of mix suffers damage the best, if you see what I mean!!

Not that I'm a loudness man - just curious how you get these great masters so clear and yet they are appropriately loud and how much a great mix from, say Brauer, might change once you try and get some "loudness". Do they suffer are are you gentle?
Old 10th May 2013
Mastering legend

Generally speaking, all the best mixers compress their mixes and it's a big part of their sound. That means getting them louder is easier. Keep in mind, their mixes aren't squashed, but compressed professionally. Tape saturation can also help.

As far as how loud? You go as far as you can without screwing up the mix. At some point you get it perfect. I can get stuff pretty loud without messing with the original mix balances. Try to see how far you can go without distortion.. maybe go over the top first and slowly back it down.

There have been many occasions where I make it sound really great but then the producer, band, label, or manager says they want it louder. My response: "I don't recommend it".

Howie
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search