The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rush - Vapor Trails
Old 8th May 2013
Gear addict

Rush - Vapor Trails

First, thank you very much for doing this thread. It's great to get a sense of what the process is after the record leaves our (mixers) hands. You've mastered quite a few of my favorite albums!

Being a fan of Rush, I noticed with Vapor Trails that it is quite loud and often times lacks some of the dynamic range that happens on their other albums.

I'm just wondering what the process was working with that album and if it came hot from the mixing stage?

Thank you in advance,
Chris
Old 8th May 2013
Lives for gear

Rush: Vapor Trails

Hello Howie,

Would love for you to describe the challenges you may have had dealing with Rush's 2002 release, Vapor Trails.

There was a bit of controversy at the time Vapor Trails was released over the sound quality of the album.

I remember reading some interviews with the members of Rush at the time. From what I recall, Geddy and Alex had decided to do some degree of the recording for this album on their own. After the fact they admitted that they were not experienced enough and in some cases yielded poor recordings, distortion, etc. Supposedly some of the recordings were redone before the mix, but some were not.

Can you recall how you felt about the final mixes of Vapor Trails you were handed and how you went about dealing with them?

Would be interested in hearing about anything you might remember regarding Vapor Trails.

Thank you.
Old 10th May 2013
Mastering legend

We experimented with a lot of different eqs, levels, and tweaking. The bottom line is this: Geddy Lee chose the loudest master and said it sounded amazing to him. It's ultimately the client who chooses what they want.

Howie
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search