The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
different mastering results
Old 8th May 2013
Gear Head

different mastering results

Hello Howie,

A bit of an odd question here but in the last 10 years I played in a couple of bands that had our albums mastered by you in New York.
On both occasions I noticed that the first copy you would send us would sound slightly light. We asked if it was ok for another go on it and then we would get back this "magical sound" that i think is one of your signatures across many of your albums....
So after my babbling, my question is, Is there a specific bit of or combination of hardware or software equipment that you use to get that finished album sound? Or is it just years of practise and knowing how your rooms sound at masterdisk, each time being different?
hope that is enough of a "Gearslutz" question!

Cheers
Old 10th May 2013
Mastering legend

The first pass was probably slightly light because perhaps we didn't define the direction. The best masters are usually the second or third pass when you get to really know what the client wants.

I don't think that this is a matter of certain gear being used, but more about knowing your client's needs.

Howie
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search