The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thoughts on specific frequency areas
Old 5th May 2013
Lives for gear

Thoughts on specific frequency areas

Hi Howie, Thanks for dropping by.

Can you take a minute to talk about certain frequency areas that are either important for certain reasons (say for broadcast, mp3 conversion, vinyl, things like that) and also ones that are across the board important for clarity or richness, i mean ones that come up often for you as a mastering engineer.

And if it's not too much, thoughts on adding a bit more low mid these days to help out ear bud and computer speaker listeners.

Thanks for any thoughts you can share.
Old 9th May 2013
Mastering legend

There are frequencies that I feel make records really come alive. It's more midrange stuff, but you have to be careful. 800Hz to 3khz is really important. But you can't go too far or it gets strident.

Lows you just go by feel. 50Hz to 120Hz is great but you gotta have monitors that reveal what's going on down there or your mixes actually become smaller sounding.

Highs are very subjective. Some people like bright records, some people hate em. So for that, I go by what the client says.

I don't master records for a certain format like mp3 or broadcast. That's dangerous. I just make them sound great.

Howie
Old 10th May 2013
Lives for gear

Cool.
Curious, do you ever bandpass a frequency range, say 800-3k and just work hearing only that for a while to get the area to sit right?
Old 10th May 2013
Mastering legend

No I've never done that and I don't recommend that. You need to get a sense of the whole track.

Howie
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search