The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mick Glossop - Avalon Sunset and Enlightenment
Old 24th June 2007
Gear Head

Mick Glossop - Avalon Sunset and Enlightenment

Mick -

Avalon Sunset and Enlightenment are two of my favorite sounding albums (I happen to love the music as well). They are remarkable for their combination of warmth and clarity, especially on the songs with larger arrangements.

Can you share with us what consoles they were recorded and mixed on? Analog tape or digital?

Also, you stated in an earlier thread that Van's vocals are done with dynamic mics - is that true of these albums as well? If so, is there any special preamp, or through the console?

Thanks.
Old 25th June 2007
Special guest

Hi - and thanks for the compliments!

On Avalon Sunset, the basic tracks (drums, bass, guitar, piano & Van's lead vocal) were recorded in a day and a half at Eden Studios on a mid 80's SSL E series console. No outboard preamps were used - all SSL. Van's vocal was recorded with a Sennheiser MD421, through a DBX 160, with +1 dB at 10 kHz eq. Overdubs were recorded over several months in several studios, incl. The Townhouse, Olympic, Westside & The Woolhall, where it was mixed, with the exception of "Whenever God....", which was originally mixed at The Woolhall, but then remixed (after Cliff Richard's vocal was added) at Townhouse Studio 2. All the consoles (except for the Neve VR at Westside) were SSL E series. Everything was recorded onto Ampex Grand Master analogue 2" tape, with Dolby SR at 30 ips, and mixed onto Ampex Grand Master 1/2", no Dolby.

On Enlightenment, the basic tracks were mostly recorded at The Woolhall using an SSL E series console onto Ampex Grand Master 2" analogue tape, via Dolby SR at 30 ips, and mixed onto Ampex Grand Master 1/2" analogue tape at 30 ips, no Dolby. Same recording detail for Van's vocal as Avalon Sunset. All overdubs were recorded using the SSL's mic amps. "So Quiet In Here" was recorded at The Kirk, by another engineer, so i'm afraid I have no details. The work down at Pavillion Studios was recorded, I think (again - a different engineer), on an Amek console.

Generally, there wasn't that much outboard gear, but it included:

DBX 160, 1176, Allison Research Gain-Brain, LA-4, compressors
GML, Neve eq
EMT 140 plate
Lexicon 480 & 224XL reverbs
AMS delays & harmonisers
AMS RMX-16 reverb
occasional use of analogue tape delay
Old 26th June 2007
Lives for gear

Great album and amazing memory Mick !!
Old 29th June 2007
Gear Head

Thanks Mick!

From the description in the other Van thread, the vocals were recorded live with the basic tracks?

I enjoyed the spontaneity in the one live performance of his (Guinness Fleadh) I attended. It's great that remains an important part of his album recording as well.

I often play "Whenever God" or "Real Gone" for my audio students.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search