The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mick Glossop- Van Morrison? Condenser Microphones
Old 15th June 2007
Gear maniac

Mick Glossop- Van Morrison?

Hi Mick

I was interested in knowing what your experience was like while working with Van in the studio? Has he mellowed with age a little bit? Does he have a certain vocal mic that he favors?
I would think that there is very little overdubbing when it comes to engineering his sessions.
Old 19th June 2007
Special guest

I'd like to refer to Haydn's previous posting regarding client confidentiality, and say that we have to be respectful in this area. However, I think I can probably make some general remarks about recording with Van. His sessions are always a thrill to work on - he's a very spontaneous performer and that makes for some exiting moments.
In order to make the sessions work, I have to prepare for any situation, combination of musicians & singers, etc. The sessions are invariably live, but separation between microphones is essential, as is eye contact. I used to use a Sennheiser MD421 for Van's vocal, but these days it tends to be a Shure SM87.
Old 19th June 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickglossop View Post
I'd like to refer to Haydn's previous posting regarding client confidentiality, and say that we have to be respectful in this area. However, I think I can probably make some general remarks about recording with Van. His sessions are always a thrill to work on - he's a very spontaneous performer and that makes for some exiting moments.
In order to make the sessions work, I have to prepare for any situation, combination of musicians & singers, etc. The sessions are invariably live, but separation between microphones is essential, as is eye contact. I used to use a Sennheiser MD421 for Van's vocal, but these days it tends to be a Shure SM87.
I understand Completely Mick about the confidentiality. While I was cruising your website I read all of your interviews and I found them to be very informing. Especially the quicktime movie interview.

The vocal Track I am most in awe of is the song "Foreign Window" off the No Guru cd. The vocals seem to have a softness to them. Somehow taking the edge off his voice. The drums sound really nice too. I would have guessed this to be a U87.
Old 22nd June 2007
Special guest

Re "Foreign Window" - I didn't record that vocal track, but I'm pretty sure that it would have been a dynamic mic. Condenser mics don't respond well to Van's voice - they tend to overload easily. Of course, there will have been a lot of processing in the mix, which I did work on.
Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search