The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buddy Guy Question - For Tony
Old 14th June 2007
Gear nut

Buddy Guy Question - For Tony

Tony,

"Damn Right I've Got The Blues" has been a favorite blues album of mine for a while. I was lucky enough to see Buddy play a show in San Francisco a few years after that and was just floored - one of those nights where he could have taken on any guitar player ever and won.

I am particularly interested in the title track from that disc. Can you talk about the recording and mixing gear used on it?

In particular:
* the guitar sound
* the vocal sound

Mics, pres, compressors, and how you got the reverb on the guitar (amp, room mic, rack unit)?

Thanks!
-Jaguar
Old 14th June 2007
Special guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar Dreams View Post
Tony,

"Damn Right I've Got The Blues" has been a favorite blues album of mine for a while. I was lucky enough to see Buddy play a show in San Francisco a few years after that and was just floored - one of those nights where he could have taken on any guitar player ever and won.

Yes! he really is amazing.

I am particularly interested in the title track from that disc. Can you talk about the recording and mixing gear used on it?

In particular:
* the guitar sound
* the vocal sound

Mics, pres, compressors, and how you got the reverb on the guitar (amp, room mic, rack unit)?

Thanks!
-Jaguar
This was a very special album to record. Almost all the guitar and vocals are live. The main problem with getting Buddy's guitar sound was to deal with the dynamics. He can play so quietly one moment then let rip immediately afterwards. We used various combinations of Fender Bassman combo amps. some new some vintage. mostly we had two linked together with a Neumann U67 on each. The vocals were all recorded with an SM58 because Buddy was in the same room as all the other players. his amp was in a large room to the side of him with the doors open so he could hear acoustically.

No compression.

Neve console.

We needed to run long takes and so I opted for Studer A800 at 15ips with Dolby SR - best choice I ever made! Most of the songs were edited down on the multitrack from much longer versions.

Mixing was on an SSL 4000 but fitted with Maselec EQ. These are retro fitted EQ cards that replace the SSL EQ.

So much of the recording was live it was very easy to mix as the balances were already on tape.

Most of all though the players were fantastic - as a big fan of Little Feat it was a real buzz recording Richie Hayward and of course Memphis Horns, Jeff Beck etc.

Tony

Old 15th June 2007
Gear nut

little feat

Wow - I can't believe that's a 58 on Buddy's vocals. Awesome. I can just imagine everyone set up and recording that album. I figured he was using Fender Bassmans on that, although at the time live he was playing Victoria amps cranked all the way up which sounded pretty unreal...

Obviously, you seem to be a fan of putting large diaphragm condensers on guitar cabs. Any newer non-Neumann mics that you think stack up to the vintage U67 or U87 on guitar cabs?

Since you're a Little Feat fan, ever heard the 1974 Robert Palmer album "Sneaking Sally Through The Alley"? It's got Lowell George on slide gtr, and Zigaboo Modeliste on drums, and just has this vibe like it was all recorded after midnight in New Orleans somewhere. (This was way before Robert Palmer turned all 80s pop). Just discovered it two months ago (while searching the web for info on the Back In Black snare drum sound, interestingly enough) and can't seem to stop listening to it...

Thanks!
-Jaguar
Old 15th June 2007
Lives for gear

"Damn Right I've Got The Blues" has been a favorite blues album of mine for a while.
Mine too!!!
Old 15th June 2007
Special guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar Dreams View Post
Wow - I can't believe that's a 58 on Buddy's vocals. Awesome. I can just imagine everyone set up and recording that album. I figured he was using Fender Bassmans on that, although at the time live he was playing Victoria amps cranked all the way up which sounded pretty unreal...

Obviously, you seem to be a fan of putting large diaphragm condensers on guitar cabs. Any newer non-Neumann mics that you think stack up to the vintage U67 or U87 on guitar cabs?

Since you're a Little Feat fan, ever heard the 1974 Robert Palmer album "Sneaking Sally Through The Alley"? It's got Lowell George on slide gtr, and Zigaboo Modeliste on drums, and just has this vibe like it was all recorded after midnight in New Orleans somewhere. (This was way before Robert Palmer turned all 80s pop). Just discovered it two months ago (while searching the web for info on the Back In Black snare drum sound, interestingly enough) and can't seem to stop listening to it...

Thanks!
-Jaguar
I haven't really found anything that compares with the Neumanns. Of course with careful positioning other mics will do but ......!

Yes, I have heard Sneaking Sally - it was recorded my my good friend Phill Brown who was also at Island Studios. Great album.
Old 18th June 2007
Lives for gear

Damn right...

I remember me enjoying that album on a runaway vacation to an island near Dardanelles with a couple of buddies of mine back in 1991 or 92 or sometime. Damn right I got the blues now, the time passes so quick heh

"Where is the next one coming from" and all that. Mark Knopfler was also in there if I remember it correctly.

Very "live" studio album indeed. Big fat guitar and drums sounds. Thanks Tony.

B.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search