The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High End DAW Shoot-out series? Audio Interfaces
Old 7th June 2007
Lives for gear

High End DAW Shoot-out series?

MPG had a high end DAW shoot-out done at British Grove studios a while ago, with producer Pip Williams (who is an amazing producer who happened to have produced a few great tracks for my former band as well), Tony Platt, Haydn Bendall and co. and the video footage from that day was quite interesting.

Are you guys planning to do similar sessions across the country? Naturally none of the participants agree on the same result, but I believe this kind of sessions is very important for the participants to develop their audition skills and attention to detail. For there is always something we all fail to notice until we see somebody else pointing it out, no matter how careful we are. It would be a great learning experience.

Cheers,

B.
Old 8th June 2007
Special guest

It would be great to do this again but frankly it took so much organisation I can't see it becoming a reality!

What we are continuing is a policy of making comparisons - not to have 'shoot outs' to see what is best, but to find out which bits of gear do what so we can make informed decisions about what is best for what situation.

Personally I use comparison as my main method of evaluation on a daily basis because it gives me a valid starting point - so I think it is more to do with the philosophy of recording?

Tony
Old 9th June 2007
Lives for gear

That's actually a better way of approaching the gear selection than shoot-outs indeed, so it's great to see MPG going one step ahead of the rest of us in this never-ending, excuse my Turkish, pissing contest. Looking forward to those sessions.

Thanks for the information, Tony.

By the way, for those who haven't seen the shoot-out video, here it is:

MPG event 2005 comparison with analoge and digital recording

B.
Old 15th June 2007
Lives for gear

I'm curious about what converters were used on the Nuendo and Protools rig. I don't think it's mentioned anywhere.
Old 15th June 2007
Special guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter8 View Post
I'm curious about what converters were used on the Nuendo and Protools rig. I don't think it's mentioned anywhere.
The Nuendo had Prism converters and the Protools was using the Digidesign HD192.
Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search