The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question for Tony - Highway to Hell
Old 6th June 2007
Gear nut

Question for Tony - Highway to Hell

Hello Tony,

It's great to see you here!

I don't know if I've listened to any albums more than "Highway to Hell" or
"Back in Black". Great songs, great performance, great recordings.

I have always thought these two records were sonically equal - but quite different in sound. Aside from the obvious (Bon and Brian) can you recall any differences in recording that make - me hear - "B in B" sounding a little darker and "H to H" a little warmer.

P.S. I began micing guitar cabs with two large condensors after reading
you did with "Back in Black". It's great to get tips from the best in the biz.

Darcy
Old 7th June 2007
Wow...awesome. Highway to hell is my favorite rock album!

Tony, thank you so much for doing this!

I am totally interested as to what was used on this record.

D.
Old 7th June 2007
Special guest

Highway to Hell

I often find the world is divided with those who prefer H to H and those who prefer B in B!

They were recorded in different ways. I didn't actually record H to H - it was done in Roundhouse Studios which was very dead so there was no spill between the instruments. As a result when I came to mix it I needed to create the impression of the room and fed drums and guitars through speakers into Studio 2 at Basing Street.

I was quite pleased with the results but when I was asked to record B in B this led me to make sure I had plenty of controlled spill to help blend the instruments.

I'm not sure I would describe B in B as darker or H to H as warmer so I am not sure what you mean? I think h to H is perhaps lighter than B in B?

The two microphone thing came about because I wanted to spread the guitars more without pushing them too loud.

Thanks for the compliments!
Old 8th June 2007
[QUOTE=Tony Platt;1315096]

As a result when it came to mix it I needed to create the impression of the room and fed drums and guitars through speakers into Studio 2 at Basing Street.

QUOTE]

Neat...it worked well...

I do prefer the original line-up...but everything since has been great too.

D.
Old 9th June 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Platt View Post
I often find the world is divided with those who prefer H to H and those who prefer B in B!

They were recorded in different ways. I didn't actually record H to H - it was done in Roundhouse Studios which was very dead so there was no spill between the instruments. As a result when I came to mix it I needed to create the impression of the room and fed drums and guitars through speakers into Studio 2 at Basing Street.

I was quite pleased with the results but when I was asked to record B in B this led me to make sure I had plenty of controlled spill to help blend the instruments.

I'm not sure I would describe B in B as darker or H to H as warmer so I am not sure what you mean? I think h to H is perhaps lighter than B in B?

The two microphone thing came about because I wanted to spread the guitars more without pushing them too loud.

Thanks for the compliments!

Tony, I went back and gave those two records a listen after your reply
and it is interesting to listen with a knew perspective.

Maybe darker, warmer is not the best description. H to H is as you say maybe lighter or more compact sounding.

I love em both, though B in B may be a little more timeless in sound to my ears - it never comes across as having a time stamp.

Thanks for the reply! I've got a couple more Q's coming.

Darcy
Old 14th June 2007
Hi Tony!

Tony, i need more. lol

Are there any other little tid-bits you could share about the mixing of highway to hell? Any other thoughts, insights, gear used.... Maybe what board it was mixed on? It doesn't sound like there was a whole lot of compression used.

Thanks Tony,

D.
Old 14th June 2007
Special guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by desol View Post
Hi Tony!

Tony, i need more. lol

Are there any other little tid-bits you could share about the mixing of highway to hell? Any other thoughts, insights, gear used.... Maybe what board it was mixed on? It doesn't sound like there was a whole lot of compression used.

Thanks Tony,

D.
Well it was mixed on a Helios console which had some F760 compressors built in but no not much compression used. I really only had the EMT 140 plates, EMT DDL, tape delay, some Eventide gear, 1176. It was the same room and board where I mixed Catch A Fire.

I used some Altec monitors to feed stuff back into the studio and create more ambience.

Sorry - not much more to tell!

Tony

Old 15th June 2007
That's excellent. Once again...great job!

Thanks Tony,

D.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search