The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Equipment Design Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 21st December 2002
There is only one

i want a dynamic panner.
Old 21st December 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by EveAnna Manley
Oh I'll probably hold a naming contest on rec.audio.pro like I always do...
when the time comes....

Hey EveAnna

Why not here ... I'm sure Jules won't mind .... heh
We can make it a Paaarty rollz
Old 21st December 2002
Gear Head

I would want a good mic preamp with a frequency crossover where the treble range cutoff is tuneable and goes into a very creamy sounding distortion/overdrive chain, kinda like an exciter but done much better soundwise.
Jakob
Old 22nd December 2002
Gear interested

Me? For field recording I just want a little ipod sized doobry that'll store whatever digital bits my Mini-Me throws at it at the press of a button. Nothing fancy, just something that'll then plug into the studio computer and upload all the files automatically through firewire.
Old 22nd December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rhys
Me? For field recording I just want a little ipod sized doobry that'll store whatever digital bits my Mini-Me throws at it at the press of a button. Nothing fancy, just something that'll then plug into the studio computer and upload all the files automatically through firewire.
I think Nagra builds something like that:

http://www.nagra.com/nagraaudio/pages/nagraaresp.htm
Old 23rd December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: New Equipment Design

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fletcher
[B]So, if you could have a product build specifically for you, what would it do? Would it have mondo headroom?, lots of features? Would it be chartruse? Would it be 'multi-functional'? What?

I'd really like a 1 or 2U bussing unit with, lets say, 8 XLR inputs and XLR outputs to buss 1, 2, 3 & 4 on the back. On the front I'd simply want 8 switches that select your buss, that's it! Maybe 4 output trims for the Buss' outputs.

Even the 4 channel rack mic pre's that are available would strongly benefit from having a simple 2 buss system along with the direct outs.

Both the above would take away the need to take a mixer out with me or record individual tracks for EVERYTHING!! i.e. ProTools- Snare Top/Snare Bottom/Gtr Cab 57/Gtr Cab U67, etc...

Oh yes, the other thing I'd like is a 360º console that moves TO YOU!!
Old 23rd December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by mr.gefell
we can announce the name...

"SLAM HARDER!"
or SLAM DUNK! Gee, I bet that's a real Danish insult or something.
Old 23rd December 2002
Gear Addict

LOL

Actually that would mean something like mud-can :-)
Old 23rd December 2002
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally posted by atticus
I think Nagra builds something like that:

http://www.nagra.com/nagraaudio/pages/nagraaresp.htm
Yeah, but the Nagra won't take digital in and it uses flash memory cards. I want to take the digital out from a Mini-Me and store it on HD, uncompressed. I want it to run for 24 hours on one LR44 button battery, I want it to cost no more then $99 (or Yen equivalent), I want it to suppply all the DC for the other gear (and still run 24hours). I want it and I WANT IT NOW.......sigh.

I'm beginning to think that Santa doesn't exist.
Old 23rd December 2002
Lives for gear

1 robust cable standard for everything, broadly implemented, so you can just plug stuff in (mLan xTreme ?). Also available in wireless.

A DAW based on a new type of GUI, loosing the visual metaphor of an analog console once and for all.

Control gloves (the kinds beginning to be used in virtual surgery, that provide feedback), or some other 3-D controller, to control this new, virtual, studio.

Generic processor units that can be added to any DAW as easy as RAM, that provide the PCI card advantage of ProTools but are not proprietary, will enhance the power of any DAW, and are cheap due to economics of scale.

Assuming they survive their current crisis, an Apple Multimedia Computer from 2006, with large-screen OLED displays.
Old 24th December 2002
Lives for gear

I'd like a SUPER DUPER COMPRESSOR.

I want independent controls for the following;

- 1 Hard Knee Compressor/Limiter
- 2 Soft Knee Compressors
- 1 Opto Compressor
- 1 Brick Wall Limiter ala WAVES L1

- Built in side chain EQ with hi pass, low pass, and 2 channels of full parametricity x 4 (one for each compressor)

- Routable in any order. Bypass available on all units.

- Dual Mono, linkable for true Stereo.

- Knobs at least 3/4" in diameter

- Big LED 15+ step meters

- VU Meters

- Solid State for long term sonic stability

- Output both transformer and transformerless

- Hystronics like on the GML comp (haven''t heard it but seems like a nifty feature)

- AES/EBU I/O with the ability to pass the signal through the transformer

- Built in LoJack

Yah.
Old 28th December 2002
Lives for gear

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Fletcher
So, if you could have a product build specifically for you, what would it do?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, you asked so:

I'd like to see Dave Hill build a console, based on ALL his previous designs.

To take the faux 'Horus' concept to the logical conclusion:

A luxury equipped, medium/large format mixer. Maybe 32IX32BX16AX2 (or 7.1). Spider input stages, pre A/D inserts, all the CraneSong Processing on ea. ch; comp, eq, tape, and HEDD on all 32 mic/line input/A/D convertors, 8 stereo/16 mono aux (A or D S/R), DACS on all 32 chs (for mixing w/analog inserted), chrome P&G flying faders and automation (for the peanut gallery), DIRECT PT interface with a ProControl emulation layer would be appealing to the alsihad faithful, and a massive analog summi(t)ng bus. One knob or fader PER function would make it pretty big (6'+ range) so it would look as impressive as it is. Doesn't matter if the mainframe for it is 48 sp. Hide it away, track, mix, and grin.
Certainly not a new idea, but (the difference being), Dave's designs actually sound GOOD ENOUGH to really make it fly.

This could replace a lot of gear in a lot of rooms...

Seems that a fair deal of the r&d groundwork is already covered and the considerable remainder could be hired/farmed/bought. Might take a good team and some financial backing... Definately require some ASIC design. But there're folks out there who've done this kinda thing before (and could probably use a gig).

just another dreamer...

Old 28th December 2002
Lives for gear

I'd like to see Dave Hill build a console, based on ALL his previous designs.

or at least offer an outboard summing bus / master control box so that we can tie together a roomful of outboard Crane Song gear without some cheap summing circuit stomping all over the sound.

The Dangerous 2-bus is great if you are working with a DAW, but if you are trying to tie a bunch of outboard gear together, you need a box with level controls, panning and other console "master section" controls. More like a line level only version of the Spider, with only the most basic line level input channels (level & pan) and more master controls.

steve
lex125@pacbell.net
Old 28th December 2002
Lives for gear

I'd really like a 1 or 2U bussing unit with, lets say, 8 XLR inputs and XLR outputs to buss 1, 2, 3 & 4 on the back. On the front I'd simply want 8 switches that select your buss, that's it! Maybe 4 output trims for the Buss' outputs.

Even the 4 channel rack mic pre's that are available would strongly benefit from having a simple 2 buss system along with the direct outs.

Both the above would take away the need to take a mixer out with me or record individual tracks for EVERYTHING!! i.e. ProTools- Snare Top/Snare Bottom/Gtr Cab 57/Gtr Cab U67, etc...

Oh yes, the other thing I'd like is a 360º console that moves TO YOU!!

What he said! Where is the line level only mixer that we need to sum together our outboard gear? The little box that allows us to use 3 or 4 mic preamps on location gigs and still record direct to 2 track? Please somebody build this box!

steve
lex125@pacbell.net
Old 29th December 2002
Gear Addict

I would like a DJ mixer version of the Manley 16x2, something like a high end Bozak CMA10-2DL or Urei 1620.

Ideally it would have:

-6 stereo channels

-mind blowingly good mm phono pres on 3 or 4 channels, something that would really vibe with the Grado DJ carts

-switchable stereo inserts per channel and switchable master FX loop

-stereo aux send per channel, pre/post switchable

-cueing yes, pan (balance) no

-mind blowingly good pots everywhere, especially the channel faders, all with groovy round knobs ala Massive Passive, not flat like the 16x2. Toggles instead of pushbuttons.

-seperate main, booth, and record outs with level controls

-mind blowingly good headphone amp for cue with level contol and split cue switch (master in one ear, cue in the other)

- FX return (cueable) and record return would be nice too... loose the VUs and go LED if you need more room on the right, they seem to work better for DJ mixers anyway. It's also nice to be able to switch the level meters to the cue bus, or provide seperate ones but this isn't vital.

EveAnna or Hutch feel free to email me if this interests you. I've been trying to build my own, so it's damn near the only thing I think about any more.

rollz ...back to Horowitz and Hill
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search