The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Let's talk about the Manley SLAM!
Old 26th December 2002
Lives for gear

OK all you SLAM-HOGS:

For those of us who don't happen to own one, and don't have an extra 6K+ to back-order one anytime soon, I think it's becoming a tad sadistic extolling its endless virtues and superlative performance in a public forum, especially by people who seem to know what they're talking about.

If, for no other reason, than to quiet the gearlust of the gearslut that accompanies any discussion about truly great gear that not everyone owns, please make some disparaging remarks about it, as untrue as they may be (it's not as if anyone from the company is actually reading this thread.....)

Thanks very much,

MattiMattMatt
Old 26th December 2002
Lives for gear

MATT!!!

You're right. We're being pigs. See if this helps......

I still love my Vari Mu and even my RNC.
I really, really love the Trac2 and kick myself in the ass for not getting one earlier.
On a cheaper but equally cool note - The Little Labs PCP is also a major problem solver and creative tool. AND - I went into my attic and found my high school Silvertone guitar that I had attempted to refinish under 'herbal'conditions (with my Dad's hunting knife. Smart kid.) . Well, it looks like **** but sounds great for slide.......plugged into the SLAM!rollz

We should all keep in mind that there's an equal and opposite reaction to the presence of the SLAM! in our lives. It's a scientifically measurable quantity that I am reminded of every time I get my credit card statement.
Happy Holidays,
Jim
Old 27th December 2002
Gear interested

Quote:
I've used it for all the things you've mentioned.
Thanks, Jim. That's helpful.

I know you're quite discerning about converter quality. When you're using the SLAM! on incoming material, have you done any A/B testing using the SLAM!'s on-board converters vs. taking an analog output from the SLAM! into something like an Apogee? If you've tried this, I'd be curious to know how you perceive the differences and whether they're subtle or dramatic.

TIA

Lee Blaske
Old 31st December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Jasper
I definitely want to hear a SLAM!. That's not easy when you live in Austin, TX. The closest pro audio dealer is 50 miles away --
Jasper
Hey at least you're not up here in the great white north
I'm 250 miles away from the dealers in Boston, so I buy and try and decide
But.. I think I'll make a trip to hear the Slam!
Never the same as in the studio though.
Anybody using the SLAM on kick/snare then guitars then vox and then on the mix buss?
,peace out
danielheh
Old 31st December 2002
SLAM ADC Comparison

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Blaske
I know you're quite discerning about converter quality. When you're using the SLAM! on incoming material, have you done any A/B testing using the SLAM!'s on-board converters vs. taking an analog output from the SLAM! into something like an Apogee?
If you would like to hear how the SLAM ADC compares to some others at 24/44.1, then I hear someone has a CD coming out that compares it to the likes of the PT HD 192, RADAR, dB Tech, Prism, Weiss, Mytek, Apogee, Waves, 888|24, Cranesong and at least a dozen more. The recordings are very revealing.

(Trying my best to be helpful without seeming like a sales pitch. Please don't flame.)
Old 31st December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: SLAM ADC Comparison

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Fuston
If you would like to hear how the SLAM ADC compares to some others at 24/44.1, then I hear someone has a CD coming out that compares it to the likes of the PT HD 192, RADAR, dB Tech, Prism, Weiss, Mytek, Apogee, Waves, 888|24, Cranesong and at least a dozen more. The recordings are very revealing.

(Trying my best to be helpful without seeming like a sales pitch. Please don't flame.)
Lynn, I am very interested in purchasing this cd when available...please notify me when it's done ok? czarkos1@cox.net
Old 31st December 2002
It's close now. I'm setting up an 800 number for those who don't like ordering online. I'll let you know when it's ready.

I must say that Hutch was extremely helpful in designing the test parameters and methodology.
Old 31st December 2002
Re: SLAM ADC Comparison

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Fuston

Yeah Lynn,

When are we going to hear this CD?

Me and a couple of my pals here in the city(trying in my best Sopranos voice) have been sittin' around waitin'.grudge

We were thinkin' about takin' a little trip you know. Like going over there and payin' you a visit...you here me pal?heh

Just kiddin Lynn, but I can't wait. Should be a blast. We were throwing around ideas on what kind of CD player and DAC's we would use(Mark Levinson or Krell CD and maybe a MK DAC).
Old 31st December 2002
Re: Re: SLAM ADC Comparison

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Yeah Lynn,

When are we going to hear this CD?

Me and a couple of my pals here in the city(trying in my best Sopranos voice) have been sittin' around waitin'.grudge

We were thinkin' about takin' a little trip you know. Like going over there and payin' you a visit...you here me pal?heh

Just kiddin Lynn, but I can't wait. Should be a blast. We were throwing around ideas on what kind of CD player and DAC's we would use(Mark Levinson or Krell CD and maybe a MK DAC).

It may be the most informative of the CDs so far. There's a lot of info to glean from these recordings-80 minutes on CD 1 and over 60 minutes on CD 2. Hutch has heard it and the guys at iZ and Dave Bryce, but fewer than a dozen have heard it so far.

But this ADC CD has been particularly hard to finish. I'm not sure why other than a lot of personal stuff that's been going on. Finding the time to wrap it up has been extremely difficult. All the credits are finished now and I'm looking for translators who can help me translate the credits into as many languages as possible, since probably 1/3 of these CDs are sold internationally. I hope to send it to manufacturing within the month.

I think you'll find it worth the wait.
Old 31st December 2002
Re: Re: SLAM ADC Comparison

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
We were throwing around ideas on what kind of CD player and DAC's we would use(Mark Levinson or Krell CD and maybe a MK DAC).
We monitored in the studio on the dCS 954.
Old 1st January 2003
Lives for gear

I can translate it to Czech if you are interested...
Old 1st January 2003
Translations

Quote:
Originally posted by matucha
I can translate it to Czech if you are interested...
That would be amazing. You wouldn't believe how many countries I've sent CDs to. India, Viet Nam, Slavinia, Peru, Argentina, Finland, Indonesia, Japan, United Arab Emirates and lots of other countries you would expect.

Send me an email please and I'll contact you directly when the time comes. My email address is go3daudio@aol.com.
Loading mentioned products ...
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search