The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Manley Questions...
Old 20th December 2002
Gear maniac

Manley Questions...

Ok, EveAnna,
I finally have a couple of questions that at least may come close to being intelligent.

I just got my new Sweetwater catalog recently (my fav) and was drooling in the outboard gear section. I was trying to comprehend the feature sets and differences between the VOXBOX and SLAM. They both have pres and compressors (if not mistaken) but what are the differences?

Also based on the change in components on the Manley Pultec and Langevin Pultec EQ's, what difference does it make in sonic qualities?

Hope they're not too rediculous.
Thanks
Old 20th December 2002
member no 666

Re: Manley Questions...

Quote:
Originally posted by RSMITH123
I was trying to comprehend the feature sets and differences between the VOXBOX and SLAM. They both have pres and compressors (if not mistaken) but what are the differences?
Beyond the VoxBox being a mono unit and the SLAM! being a linkable dual mono unit...

In the VoxBox you have an opto compressor prior to the mic pre, and their ELOP limiter in the "de-esser/full range limiter" section... with a comprehensive EQ section.

With the SLAM! you have killer sounding mic pre's, an ELOP limiter (which also lives before the mic pre's), a FET limiter [with variable attack and release times!], and the ability to use them both limiters simulaneously. The opto limiter also has onboard facilities for 3 different hi-pass filters... which can come in damn handy in a myriad of applications. And all that times two for stereo.

The 'dual metering' is a nice touch as well...
Old 20th December 2002

Here is the VOXBOX page from my website.

Here is the SLAM! page from my website.

You will better be able to understand the differences between the two units by reading these two comprehensive pages as there is only so much a dealer catalog can say in only one paragraph and both these units have extensive feature-sets.
The owner's manuals also offer even more info and there are links to them from the product webpages.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search