The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who will get Walter Sear's console?
Old 20th December 2002
Gear Addict

Unhappy Who will get Walter Sear's console?

I saddens me to see the end (apparently) of Sear Sound. I have a friend who works for a guy who was offered Sear's complete microphone collection. Now that's a hard way to face financial reality. But what i want to know is: who will get the Avalon console?

Fletcher?
Old 20th December 2002

Walter showed me how to play the Theremin!
Old 20th December 2002
member no 666

Last I heard, Walter's plan was to sell the studio as a complete, working business... so I would assume that whomever the purchaser of the facility might be... they're the ones that will end up with all the tre cool **** that studio has in stock.
Old 20th December 2002
I wanna work there before I die!

Old 20th December 2002
Gear Addict

I would never live in NY. Unless I had a cot set up in that big room. Sigh.

Cue "If I Were a Rich Man".
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

Sear Sound

"Last I heard, Walter's plan was to sell the studio as a complete, working business"

And we should all pray that he can pull that off. But recording studios are much like old consoles, they are typically worth MUCH more torn apart and sold off piece by piece than they are as a fully integrated whole.

Is there an article anywhere that discusses Mr. Sear's reasons for wanting to sell the studio? Is it losing too much money, does he finally want to retire from the pressures of running a business, or ...?

That link to the Sear Sound website in the earlier post should be required reading for all aspiring recording engineers. There are a dozen or so articles by Mr. Sear available on the website and they present his unique view of the recording studio business.

Is the studio still open for business? A short one day session there might be the greatest gift imaginable for us recording folks.

steve
lex125@pacbell.net
Old 21st December 2002
Lives for gear

I keep hearing ( from rather reputable sources, whater that means..) that he just wants out of owning, and into more design/build business. maybe he is tired.?
Old 21st December 2002
Re: Sear Sound

Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_steve
"Last I heard, Walter's plan was to sell the studio as a complete, working business"

And we should all pray that he can pull that off. But recording studios are much like old consoles, they are typically worth MUCH more torn apart and sold off piece by piece than they are as a fully integrated whole.

Is there an article anywhere that discusses Mr. Sear's reasons for wanting to sell the studio? Is it losing too much money, does he finally want to retire from the pressures of running a business, or ...?

That link to the Sear Sound website in the earlier post should be required reading for all aspiring recording engineers. There are a dozen or so articles by Mr. Sear available on the website and they present his unique view of the recording studio business.

Is the studio still open for business? A short one day session there might be the greatest gift imaginable for us recording folks.

steve
lex125@pacbell.net
Hey I know Walter,

And he is not hurting for dough.tut

He is a shrewd businessman(he snickered a friend on a Studer 827(i think Walt ended paying him $5000 for it).

He says he wants to develop his studio design business(for smaller as well as larger studios).

He is not the only studio in town that wants to sell out(I heard Sorcerer Sound is the other). Its a business move. You get the studio stock to a certain level and when its at its highest you sell it. Some Japanese musician/businessman will buy it. There is no studio community here in NYC like in Cali or Nashville. Its every man for himself.

Both SearSound and Sorcerer are excellent studios.

By the way, if anyone wants to do the same to a SonyMXP3036(Avalon mods) they might as well forget it because Walter bought all of the pre cards. Avalon is not making them anymore.
Old 22nd December 2002
Gear Head

I was temp staff/vacation relief at Sear Sound when he got the 827 that replaced his old A-80 widebody....
He also picked up a carload of random tube gear that someone who had retired for a song [or maybe even as a gift].
That studio had/has a definite vibe to it when I was there.
Sad to see him selling it off because it won't be the same without him. But glad to see him profit from his hard work....
I don't think I've ever met anyone with anything bad to say about the man.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search