The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tubes in the News!
Old 20th December 2002

Tubes in the News!

Check out this NY Times article on tube gear.

That's my buddy Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio featured in it. If ya'll need very nice NOS tubes, fully tested, Kevin is the best NOS tube vendor I know. Straight and honest guy. We get together for sushi often as his shop is in Upland, CA. Just up the road from my shop.

Today I am plugging my buddy Kevin Deal, as seen in the New York Times!
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

Ok, cool, just have to sign up at the NYT to make it work.
Old 20th December 2002

That's the link. Just fill in the fields and you will get free access to the article, and everything else on nytimes.com
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

I read that article this morning, and meant to post it here, but I had to run off to work...you read my mind again EveAnna! Very cool.

I couldn't help but notice that the "jury was out" concerning exactly why tubes sound so pleasing, according to the article. They mentioned even-order verses odd-order harmonics...

I dunno. I still suspect it has something to do with the way various circuits reproduce the natural harmonic character of the source audio. It's not my field, so I could be wrong. But just because I don't know what I'm talking about doesn't mean I'm wrong, right?

Or something like that...
Old 21st December 2002
Gear Nut

I'm reading the article, and found this amusing part on the growing popularity of tubes (I shouldn't have to say it, but just in case, I fully understand that this stuff has absolutely no relation to the equipment Manley and other high-end companies make):

Quote:
As a result, manufacturers are stuffing tubes into every component imaginable, including CD players. There are even a few computer sound cards that include a tube or two.
A year or two ago there was a computer motherboard with a tube on it (apparently to 'warm up' the sound of the built-in soundcard, which I'm SUUUUURE is carefully designed to be competitive with current high-end D/A's...cough, hack...) that generated several long threads on rec.audio.pro, and more recently there was the soundcard with a tube coming out the side, thus taking up about three slots. I was never clear on whether the signal actually went through the tube, or if it was just there to 'sag' the power supply. I shouldn't read marketing copy anyway, it rots the brain.

I expect to see these 'tube' things for sale in late-night infomercials...
Old 21st December 2002
Gear Nut

I forget if any of this was said in the distortion thread. That one spilled over to RAP and I wrote something like this over there.

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant
I couldn't help but notice that the "jury was out" concerning exactly why tubes sound so pleasing, according to the article. They mentioned even-order verses odd-order harmonics...

I dunno. I still suspect it has something to do with the way various circuits reproduce the natural harmonic character of the source audio. It's not my field, so I could be wrong. But just because I don't know what I'm talking about doesn't mean I'm wrong, right?

Or something like that...
I think there's two major parts of it, the even/odd harmonics thing is just one part. The other is that the transfer curves for tube circuits are just that, CURVES, and so generate low-order harmonics almost exclusively (2,3,4,5,6, and such, then higher harmonics are very attentuated). The transfer 'curve' of solid-state circuits is a collection of line segments (ideally, the signal stays on just one segment, but even that's not quite a straight line), and these generate measurable harmonics starting with 2 and going into the hundreds.

The harmonics 2 through 6 are all musical intervals, and thus sound 'consonant'. The 7th harmonic is two octaves and a minor 7th musical interval up from the fundamental, still 'musical' but much more dissonant than the others. The 8th and other octavely-related harmonics are consonant, but most higher harmonics are dissonant compared to the fundamental. There can be so much there that it's ear-fatiguing

Ever look at the drawbars of a Hammond organ? IIRC, there's NOT a 7th harmonic drawbar. yuktyy
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search