The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avalon 737sp Mercenary Edition.
Old 19th December 2002
Gear interested

Avalon 737sp Mercenary Edition.

Does anybody out there know anything about this unit?

My main Vocal Mic is a Blueberry and I have been using that into a Apogee Trak 2. I am assuming that the pre-amp is better than the Trak 2, plus it is a tube unit. It has an tube opto compressor and EQ.

I have been using a Avalon AD2022 at my job, and it sounds great. It is solid state, and the 737 is tube so I know it will sound different.

The Opto Compressor is not an 1176, but it is a tube unit, and I only will use it for some light compression.(4.1) on the way into Pro-Tools.

Any thoughts out there?
Old 19th December 2002
member no 666

The VT 737sm is the same thing as the VT 737sp... but with plastic knobs... here's the blurb from our website that gives the derivation:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the 737 first came out it had Purple injection mold plastic knobs and a white face plate. It was the first of the inexpensive "all in one boxes" and was seriously cool. Well, the story goes that they took it over to Babyface's place and he dug it [and also has a ton of other Avalon stuff] so he wanted his 737's to look like the rest of his Avalon stuff...

So the VT 737sp was born. It had the nice aluminum knobs...but more importantly, the mic input transformer had better headroom. Well you can hear the transformer, but I've never heard a knob cap...and we were kinda one of the first Avalon dealers and have a great relationship with them...so the black injection mold plastic knobbed version with the higher headroom mic input transformer version was born...the VT 737sm. Plastic knobs are less expensive than the classy aluminum knobs...but the black and gold more than makes up for the loss of 'aluminum knob chic'. If you've ever heard the difference between plastic and aluminum knob caps, please share whatever substance you've just consumed...that sounds like some serious drugs, that we need to try.
Old 19th December 2002
Gear interested

Thanks Fletcher,

For the price I can get if for I really cant pass it up.

How often are the tubes serviced in one of these units?
Old 19th December 2002
Lives for gear

It's $1750 right? Hmm.

Well for that much money you could buy a seperate pre, comp, and possibly an eq.

There's a lot of $1000 mono mic pres.

The RNC is popular.

Fletcher and a few others reccomend the Speck EQ but I haven't heard it.

That's $1600 right there.

If I were you, I'd buy some clean sounding equipment.

I also wouldn"t want it to be from the same manufacturer so i could get some subtle tone variation>
Old 19th December 2002
Lives for gear

I run a blueberry through a 737 on a near daily basis. I absolutely love it. I don't use the comp on it very often though, usually only as a soft limiter to tame something if I have to coming in, but I love the Pre and the EQ, especially the high shelving. Very much worth the money!!
Old 20th December 2002
Gear interested

Thank for the replies.

Hey faeflora,
I have a Trak 2 and I have to say it is a good pre-amp. When I purchased the Avalon 2022 for my real studio, I did a Pre-amp test with my Blueberry. I tried a Dozen different high end pre's and the three best were the Avalon 2022, the Vipre, and the Trak 2.

At this time I was actually looking for a Tube Tech CL/B1 to use with the Trak 2. I just ran across the 737 and I though for the price I can get it for, ($1000.00) it would be a good deal.

Thanks Doug,
I use the Blueberry mainly for acoustic guitar and vocals. I dig the mic, i appreciate the vote of confidence on the combination.

Thanks all.

Jotown
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jotown
Thank for the replies.

At this time I was actually looking for a Tube Tech CL/B1 to use with the Trak 2. I just ran across the 737 and I though for the price I can get it for, ($1000.00) it would be a good deal.

Thanks all.

Jotown

Is it the 737SP? The older models might sound different. Anyone else know more about this?
Old 21st December 2002
Gear interested

Yes it is a 737sp.
Old 21st December 2002
Lives for gear

Jotown,

It sounds like you'd really need to try it out because from what I can gather you have tried a selection of high end pre's and found the Trak2 in your top 3.

If you are looking for another pre wouldn't it be good to try another shoot-out as you obviously trust your own ears, and are looking for something quite particular.

Generally people don't rave about the comp on the 737 and people seem to prefer the EQ. so there are 3 important tastes to try the pre, the comp, and the eq, to evaluate whether or not it's worth your purchase.

You said you were originally looking at the tubetech compressor and this deal has opened up a new direction. If you really want/need a compressor bear that in mind too!!
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search