The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me spend 10k
Old 19th December 2002
Gear maniac

Lightbulb Help me spend 10k

hey everyone,

I've got $10k to build a dream stereo signal chain to track into my PT HD system w/ 192 IO. . So we're looking at Mic Pre's/Compressors/ and possibly an eq section or microphones..

I don't know if the mic's I have now warrant replacing. I'm using a Rode NTK and two TLM-103's as my top microphones right now. Can I get by with these?

I want this to be something that will last, as I hope to make several more high dollar chains like this in the future if funds permit.

I had my eye on the Great River MP2-NV any comments? I want as many of your ideas for combinations of gear as possible!

Thanks in advance,

Jon
Old 19th December 2002
Gear addict

What are you recording? What styles of music, what instruments? Mic selection is very contingent upon this.

I wouldn't recomend the mics you mentioned as your only options, especially since the two models sound rather similar. And getting five different flavors of large diaphragm cardioid condensor mics is boring. Small diaphragm condensors (omni's included) are better for some tasks, and the same could be said of some dynamic mics. (Some dynamics are much better for certain rock vocals than most condensors.)

If this is your only input path, you might go for very good but very neutral sounding components to reduce buildup of the same colorations track after track. (You might like A-1 with your steak, but probably don't want it on your Cheerios the next morning.) Add variety as you add alternative components or chains. The initial problem will be making sure your sources sound right without any heavy lifting from your hardware, but your hardware is less likely to be wrong for a given source.

Bear
Old 19th December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Help me spend 10k

Quote:
Originally posted by nemisis633
I don't know if the mic's I have now warrant replacing. I'm using a Rode NTK and two TLM-103's as my top microphones right now. Can I get by with these?
Probably for the time being, but as your ears 'grow' you will want more and better gear. I'm still not happy with my mic locker, and mine is more extensive than some people's, and far less extensive than others. I've got about another $40K or more to go before I'm satisfied (discouraging huh? That's what makes us gearsluts though).

Quote:

I had my eye on the Great River MP2-NV any comments? I want as many of your ideas for combinations of gear as possible!
The NV is a great sounding versatile preamp for pop, rock, jazz etc. The best thing you can do is keep your gear locker balanced IMO. What I mean by that is trying to avoid having too many pieces of gear that are not basically on the same level of quality (i.e. an extreme example being a Soundelux E47 into a Mackie preamp....instead split the difference in the cost for each piece in the chain to better effect, such as a Soundelux iFET7 and a Great River MP1-NV single channel). From my experience, the mics you have are in the 'good' category, the NV is in the 'great' category...so that's not too big of a gap there between the two. Compression is really important to me and the way I work. RNC's from FMR are a great value and are very inexpensive and clean. The next quality/cost jump up from the RNC is the Empirical Labs Distressor, which is a staple in many racks including my own. From there the sky is the limit. Definitely let us know what kind of music you are recording, and the general way you record (drum kit with full band or just acoustic guitar and then vocal overdubs, etc). Good Luck with your search!
Old 19th December 2002
Gear maniac

Thanks for the quick responses! I'm tracking primarily rock/pop in my project studio. Mainly my own work and a few others. Right now I'm using the Focusrite Pre's built into the Control 24 (Basicly beefed up platinums) I'm planning on using those to fill in the gaps till I get several great signal chains going.

Generally I track drums first, then do overdubs peice by peice. I also thought, maybe to give you an even better idea of what I've got. I would list my mic list.

2x Neumann TLM-103's
2x Rode NT1's
1x Rode NTK
3x Sennheiser 421's
1x Shure Beta 91
5x SM57's

does this help?
Old 19th December 2002
API 3412+m (4 x API pre amps) (OH / stereo room or 2 x toms or 2 x gtr mic's etc + overdubs)
2 x Neve 1272 pre's (Kick & Snare + overdubs)
(All overdubs after live tracking get either Neve or API pre's)
1 x Distressor
Sony Oxford EQ plug in
Sony Dynamic plug in

How am I doing on budget? If there is any room in there (by buying second hand) I would toss in a UA1176 compressor in for vocals

Jules
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search