The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the sound of "iron"
Old 12th December 2002
Gear addict

the sound of "iron"

Hi folks, great forum.

I have a basic question that will probably show my lack of experience (not that it hasn't shown already):

What is the sound of "iron"? That is, how would you describe the color imparted by the presence of transformers in gear (e.g., at the output of a microphone or in a mic preamp or signal processing gear)? In what cases is this color a good thing or a bad thing? What advantages or disadvantages are there to transformerless circuitry?

There've been a lot of discussions about tubes, and about analog tape versus digital, but I haven't seen much direct discussion of transformers. Thanks.

Jonah
Old 13th December 2002
member no 666

Re: the sound of "iron"

Quote:
Originally posted by jajjguy

What is the sound of "iron"?
When it's good 'iron' that's well applied... it gives a richness and opulence to the tone. The sound is often equated with the phase shift that occurs which slows down the high frequency information and allows the low frequency information to pass first...

When it's not well applied, or it's not well designed iron for the application... then it turns the low end into a washy, indistinct ball of ****.

Much like the application of 'firebottles'... 'iron' too can be misapplied resulting in evil rather than good [see the MCI 400 series desk for details... seeing as if you remove the line input transformers from the signal path... they will indeed sound ****ing awesome].
Old 16th December 2002
Gear addict

Re: Re: the sound of "iron"

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
...often equated with the phase shift that occurs which slows down the high frequency information and allows the low frequency information to pass first...
Great explanation, thanks Fletcher.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search