The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SURROUND 2002 Conference report
Old 12th December 2002

SURROUND 2002 Conference starts today! (Beverly Hills Hilton)

Notice: The Surround 2002 Conference starts today and runs for 2 days December 13-14 at the Beverly Hilton.

Several Audio Underground companies will be there. I'll be there. Lots of famous people will be there. Maybe YOU will be there! Hope to see you there.
Old 12th December 2002
Michael Wagener will be there!

Old 13th December 2002
member no 666

I can't even get the hang of this ****ing "stereo" fad... now you want me to go to helLA to imagine **** spinning around my head? No ****ing thank you.
Old 13th December 2002

I always watch The Sopranos in surround...

Old 13th December 2002
member no 666

Cool... I always watch the Sopranos on television...
Old 14th December 2002
I'm always missing it...
Old 14th December 2002

And yes Michael Wagener was indeed there! You know Jules, if you had not put up that post above I wouldn't have known to look out for him. Michael is awesome. Hi Michael!

What a crowd yesterday. Tons of industry heavyweights were there.

Special kudos to Mitch Gallagher who is much less heavyweight than he used to be, 70 lbs less. He looks GREAT. And Marty Porter too. Mitch's secret: balanced diet, working out alot. It's working. A lot!

The Audio Underground has a room there. Yours truly from Manley Labs, Geoff Daking (self titled), David Bock from Soundeluxe, Eric Blackmer from Earthworks, John Jennings from Royer, Jeffrey Warren from GML, Dan Kennedy from Great river, and Wes Dooley with tall hat from AEA were all in the room with Brad Lunde's empire. The $50 lunch consisted of... lettuce! The Audio Undergound did not score free tickets to this amazing lunch banquet but being clever engineers, they ordered a bunch of yummy pizzas much to the jealousy of all the other exhibitors who paid much more for their booths and had to eat lettuce for lunch and had to smell those yummy pizzas going down the main hall right past them.

Nash and Crosby sung at the awards banquet. I was standing outside chatting with Brad Lunde the whole time but we saw them walk by afterwards. Brad and I were in an intense conversation about the future of pro audio distribution and you know that is important.

I didn't see any panels or presentations cuz I wuz working my booth and chatting with my industry heavyweight and formerly heavyweight pals.

Perhaps Michael or someone who attended some panels could fill us in on anything more important that was revealed (other than my food report.)

Last day of show is today. Gotta make breakfast because now I am hungry and then get driving back into Hell-A. (Shouldn't be any traffic on Saturday morning.)
Old 14th December 2002
Lives for gear

Jules, buy the DVD's.. way worth it.
Old 15th December 2002

Not really...
Old 18th December 2002
High End Moderator

Back from LA, the land of great Sushi...

EveAnna it was great hanging with you.

Well, for me the best part of the Surround Conference was the tons of inspiration I got for my own work. Lots of great people there, who have done plenty of work in surround and were willing to share their experiences. The show was very well organized (thank you Frank Wells). Some of the highlights were Alan Parsons playing his 30 year old Quad mixes of Pink Floyd's - Darkside Of The Moon. They would hold up to anything out there today. He was not very happy about the fact that somebody else (I think it's James Guthry [sp?]) is now mixing DSOTM in 5.1 surround. I think, this is an impossible decission, by whomever made it. Even if Alan hadn't done the original album, he would still be the MY first pick for a 5.1 remix, oh well.

Other very interesting panels where done by Al Schmitt, Elliot Scheiner, Bruce Botnik and Bill Schnee. We heard some amazing surround work from Jason Brennan (Alanis Morissette) and Nathaniel Kunkel, who, IMHO, palyed some of the most daring stuff I've heard sofar. And of course the 5,1 mix of Queen's "Night At The Opera" got lots of applause, what a great record.

Sony/Phillips are pushing the SACD/DSD format. There were a lot of listening/comparison demonstrations and I did like what I heard on the DSD/SACD end. Loks like it could be an interesting format, unfortunately I would have to gut my whole studio and put in all new gear (again).

There was one comparison between 16/44.1 - 24/48 - 24/96 - 24/192. The 192K version kicked ass, but again I didn't like the 96K version as much as the 48K version. I don't know what it is, but 96K does something to the high end I don't like. I heard some similar comments from the people around me in the listening room. The 16/44.1 sounded a lot harder, which actually could be an advantage for the right kind of music. Lots more air, of course, in the higher sampling rates.

I didn't attend the Surround Music Awards, because it conflicted with my Sushi schedule, maybe next year.

In terms of equipment all the important companies were there plus Digidesign heh . Tascam was showing their new DA98HR/DSD recorder, Genex had the new 48 track DSD recorder and their 8 track version (worth checking out, 48 tracks at 24/192 or DSD for about $ 20,000). Soundelux showed their new 47ifet microphone (gotta get one), GML and of course EveAnna with all those wonderful tube units that make our harsh digital stuff sound great again, even though she didn't let me take home the SLAM tut . I ended up buying a Great River MP-2NV as a Christmas present to myself

I got to talk to the DTS people and got some insight in the technical end, very helpful.

All in all a grerat show and well worth the trip, hope to see you all there next year...
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search