The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What Instruments do you miss the most? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

I miss drums panned completely right, and percussion panned completely left.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

i miss the beautiful imperfections of the human voice...autotune and excessive comping have really taken the soul out of most recordings.

re: the earlier post about accordians...a while back i had the pleasure of van dyke parks playing accordian on a tune i co-wrote...not only does he play beautifully but his accordian is THE nicest sounding squeezebox i've ever heard. man, what a trip.

i also miss the room and bleed( and energy...) captured in live to 2/track recordings
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by TranceMM
On the Red Hot Chili Pepper's "Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magick" they had a cool percussive breakdown on 'Breaking the Girl', but even that was over 10 years ago...

Any instrument outside the Guitar/Bass/Drums/Vocals would be nice... Mandolin, hand drums, gospel choirs, marimba, Rhodes, etc...
About that Breaking the Girl percussion solo, check the DVD "Funky Monks" it's about the recording of Blood sugar sex magic (which was done in a mansion) and it shows flea and chad getting stuck into playing those percussion parts. that fleas an out of it fulla you'll see him jamming on all sorts of instruments throughout the movie. It's only an hour long doco but it's pretty cool if you like that album.

Bring back the horn sections!

peace from NZ
Old 6th December 2002
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally posted by nd33
that fleas an out of it fulla

peace
You gotta be from NZ right?
Old 6th December 2002
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally posted by nd33
About that Breaking the Girl percussion solo, check the DVD "Funky Monks" it's about the recording of Blood sugar sex magic (which was done in a mansion) and it shows flea and chad getting stuck into playing those percussion parts. that fleas an out of it fulla you'll see him jamming on all sorts of instruments throughout the movie. It's only an hour long doco but it's pretty cool if you like that album.

Bring back the horn sections!

peace from NZ
Cool... Great tip, thanks...
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

We had a guy use a Kalimba with a barcus berry pick up, through a guitar rig /leslie combo and a little cheesy fostex compressor set to smash.....created really cool pads with that.
Old 6th December 2002
Gear Head

Quote:
I miss guitar, especially solos
yeah, especially distorted guitars with lots of midrange.
Old 6th December 2002
Gear nut

Hi...

New guy here... as I produce and mix mostly Hip Hop, and electronica, I would have to say that I miss just basic songwriting... Or at least a few chord changes...

Alex
Old 7th December 2002
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by duende
New guy here... as I produce and mix mostly Hip Hop, and electronica, I would have to say that I miss just basic songwriting... Or at least a few chord changes...
Thank you folks... we have a winner!!!

I couldn't agree more... which I guess is why I do mostly "country" music these days... then again, as my wife has pointed out... the only place you can find rock and roll on the radio is on the damn country station... which unfortunately is still populated with bad Celine Dion-esque rejected "middle of the road" crap with some pedal steel because the 'country music producer's guild seems to feel it's the only requirement for bad song production to be a country hit.

Psssst... if anyone here is working on "country music"... I would consider it a minimum requirement to be able to quote the lyrics to at least 20 Hank Williams [the 1st] songs [or at least own the entire Buddy (and/or Julie) Miller catalog] before you're even allowed in the control room... but I guess that's kind of a moot point as it seems that most of "the row" is sitting in their living rooms with an Alsihad rig... damn I'm glad Steve Earle's out of jail.
Old 7th December 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Thank you folks... we have a winner!!!

I couldn't agree more...the only place you can find rock and roll on the radio is on the damn country station... which unfortunately is still populated with bad Celine Dion-esque rejected "middle of the road" crap
I too agree. I heard someone the other day describing Shania Twain as an over paid lap dancer.
The UK charts are awash with bad, unimaginative cover songs (the songs often weren't that good the first time round either).
There are a few decent bands but it's getting harder and harder to get something non-cheesy signed.
Old 7th December 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
damn I'm glad Steve Earle's out of jail.
amen! I feel very fortunate to have John Magnie from the Subdudes drop in from time to time to help keep it real round here. I don't give a rat's ass what genre I'm working in as long as the music's trying to do something interesting! I always thought Coltrane and Hendrix were just opposite sides of the same coin.
Old 7th December 2002
Gear Guru

I'm glad EmmyLou Harrs made 'Wrecking Ball' with Lanois and the king of the AC30, Buddy Miller... that and Willie Nelson's 'Teatro' keep me retro-happy.

dfegadRock Radio...
Old 7th December 2002
Han
Lives for gear

M E L L O T R O N
Old 8th December 2002
Gear nut

Thanks Fletcher!

What do I get for winning?? Just kidding,

Anyways, I wholeheartedly agree with you on the Hank Williams bit. Knowing a few Lefty Frizzel songs wouldn't hurt either. I actually play alot of alt-coutry stuff myself, but somehow, I got into mixing Hip Hop and Electronica. Don't know how I got here, but it's better than being stuck in an office as far as I'm concerned.
Old 8th December 2002
Gear addict
GUITAR SOLOS!!!! Bring back the bow solo! Speaking of bows I had a dude play the edge of some cymbals with a bow the other day. Most unique sound that I have heard in a long time. I will give another vote for the fender rhodes. How about a GONG? Havent heard one of those in a while. Light that thing on fire too!
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

Bowed vibraphone is cool too.
Old 8th December 2002
Gear addict

Yeah, bowed percussion is damned cool. My favorite track on one album has Cyro Baptista doing that stuff, and it's just incredible. Otherworldly and earthy at once. I think the trailers from the first Lord of the Rings movie started with a bowed cymbal, if anyone needs a reference tone.

Bear
Old 8th December 2002
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
... damn I'm glad Steve Earle's out of jail.
ditto!

Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Curious G
ditto!

Agre, I reallyu dig the songs and the playing on the new record, but boy, it sounds like ****e.... compressors distorting, anyone? really a bummer, cause it has some cool ass playing and songs on it.
Old 8th December 2002
Gear addict

very crunchy... maybe that's the beauty of it?
Old 10th December 2002
Gear Head

I miss the moments when the entire band is ON. Back then, we couldn't record it, and now that I could, I can't work around schedules to get all the players together at the same time (and if I could, I'd need more pres... hmm.... I think I see Fletcher's angle on this thread...).
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

I miss the Swinette. You pull a few wires across a pig's ass and play it like a Jew's harp.

I also miss my wife and sister. She's in Arkansas.

Jasper
Old 12th December 2002
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Heimbecker
amen! I feel very fortunate to have John Magnie from the Subdudes drop in from time to time to help keep it real round here.
The Subdudes! "Annunciation" is one of those CDs that's in my "take it everywhere and be buried with it" CD case.

As to the thread topic, I miss hearing one, single six-string acoustic recorded with one microphone coming out of one speaker. I also miss hearing a real mellotron.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by John W. LeBlanc
The Subdudes! "Annunciation" is one of those CDs that's in my "take it everywhere and be buried with it" CD case.

John LeBlanc
Houton, TX
"You'll be satisfied"

-R
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

To answer the orginal question, I would have to say "mandolin". In fact I just bought one and have been torturing my incredibly keyboard-biased fingers with it. I'm using it on everything, including the new station music for channel 26 in Green Bay (y'all be listening for that out there, eh)

-R
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

The instrument I miss the most are 45s. Side A, side B.

I guess that's not an instrument, per se. Instruments of evil, sometimes. But damn, I miss them.

Jasper
Old 14th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Gone Fission
Yeah, bowed percussion is damned cool. My favorite track on one album has Cyro Baptista doing that stuff, and it's just incredible. Otherworldly and earthy at once. I think the trailers from the first Lord of the Rings movie started with a bowed cymbal, if anyone needs a reference tone.

Bear
If you want super bixarre and super cool stringed inst and percussion music, check out "Supergenerous"... Cyro and a guitarist named Kevin Briet, who could be the coolest player I have ever had the privilege to hear..
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search