The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So whaddaya like, or hate about "PSW's recpit"
Old 30th December 2002
I'm getting a bit peeved by the 'newbie' generalisation and by the way people use the term with malice and absolutely no discrimination.
I confess......I am a 'newbie' as far as audio forums are concerned
In fact I am a 'newbie' as far as being on the control room side of the glass is concerned as well. My own studio contains a few high end pieces but nothing on the scale of most of the Gearslutz who regularly contribute.
On the other hand, I have 25 years of studio experience and have worked with many of the top people in the industry. There are probably many other 'newbies' like me.
As has been said, Gearslutz is pretty forgiving - but I have been on the wrong end of some savaging at recpit, on subjects that I knew a lot about and by recpitters who are obviously young and inexperienced. OK, so I shouldn't enter the bearpit etc.....
Just wanted to say that not every 'newbie' has nothing to contribute
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Re: rec pit

Quote:
Originally posted by malice
I see you there often Knox, you got to be there for some better reason than feel sorry.
I understand you've met Slipperman, and the guy explained it quiet thoroughfully.
Some of us have time, some of us have time from time to time (like myself until January), some of us manage to write an insane amount of posts (including here) in 1 hour, wich leave a solid amount of lifetime.
And even if some are internet nuts, that don't make them useless members.

But as I will hang here on regular basis, I just wanted to say that I will contribute as usefully as I can, and fit the tone and the style of Gearslutz.
That won't stop me getting wild there ...

Hope you get this post as friendly as it was meant to be
malice
Oh sure, I understand man (regarding your post being friendly, so was mine).
I stop over there from time to time. I tell you . . . in between sessions, "I" have too much time on my hands these days too. Things are slow right now. When things are slow, I hustle some work off the net . . going to bands sites, answering my emails, dealing with labels. It breaks the monotony to stop off and post a couple of things here at GS or PSW. Last night when I was putting that post up on this thread . . I was thinking, "I don't give a **** where anyone goes or where they get their rocks off". I can be a real smart ass, but I tend to keep that at bay pretty much when I post . . . Those guys let it fly. It's cool, I understand where it comes from.

I guess when I come here . . it's pretty clear cut. Just try to throw some posts out, maybe help some people, GET some help from those that know a lot more then I.
Old 30th December 2002

Re: Re: Re: Re: rec pit

Quote:
Originally posted by Knox
(regarding your post being friendly, so was mine).
hey, I took it as a friendly post too.
thanx for the reply

nice place (GS), very cool design, very interesting threads also

malice
Old 30th December 2002
Gear interested

hiltonius you missed the point altogether.
Old 31st December 2002
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
I'm getting a bit peeved by the 'newbie' generalisation and by the way people use the term with malice and absolutely no discrimination.
I confess......I am a 'newbie' as far as audio forums are concerned
In fact I am a 'newbie' as far as being on the control room side of the glass is concerned as well. My own studio contains a few high end pieces but nothing on the scale of most of the Gearslutz who regularly contribute.
On the other hand, I have 25 years of studio experience and have worked with many of the top people in the industry. There are probably many other 'newbies' like me.
As has been said, Gearslutz is pretty forgiving - but I have been on the wrong end of some savaging at recpit, on subjects that I knew a lot about and by recpitters who are obviously young and inexperienced. OK, so I shouldn't enter the bearpit etc.....
Just wanted to say that not every 'newbie' has nothing to contribute
Chrisso:

I hear you!!

BUT, I also promise that if you stop by MY Forum at the Rec Pit, you WON'T get emasculated, AND I'd LOVE to hear ANYTHING of note that you have to offer, info-wise!! heh
Old 31st December 2002
Lives for gear

Malice writes:

Quote:
I was hoping, as I decided to hang here a little, that I would not have to change my keyboard every now and then because of some hilarious post makes me spitt my coffee all over my titanium.
First... I'm impressed that you use Titaniums. I'm still using Trojans.

Second... I can't believe I like some French guy. I'm still getting used to Canadians. Vancouver at that (which almost doesn't count).

Jasper
Old 31st December 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by THEMIXFIX
Chrisso:

I hear you!!
Bob,
My comments weren't actually directed at you.
I find that the guys who are comfortable with their position in the World are very genorous with their knowledge. Hope that doesn't sound like an insult!
Old 31st December 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Jasper
I can't believe I like some French guy. I'm still getting used to Canadians. Vancouver at that (which almost doesn't count).

Jasper
hehe,

thanx for the kind words,

I must say I learned that I could get along with americans very recently, and you are from Texas ! That's even better !

I like you to Jasper, Happy new Year's Eve

malice
Old 31st December 2002
Gear maniac

PSW RecPit

Mixerman used to be one of my favorite poster/moderators until about two weeks into the "Diary". Now his forum is a very tedious soap opera that you couldn't pay me to read. A tragic waste of talent and bandwidth.

Cut me some slack here as I describe my problems with the PSW interface because I'm sure to use terminology that belies my luddite mentality. How about fixing your interface so that you don't have to highlight and select the same moderators forum over and over? Lemme see here, what's going on in Fletcher's world? Click, scroll, highlight, click. Check a thread. Click, scroll, highlight, click....really, I'm not through checking Fletcher's topics, oh yeah, I gotta click, scroll and highlight Fletcher again......the GearSlutz "program" that shoots you to the highlighted forum and keeps you there until you ask for another forum is the way to go. The constant need to reselect the same forum over and over really makes your slow server a major PITA.

Fletcher, you are the supreme gear pimp/fountain of knowlege/and profaner on the internet. If I didn't value your advice so highly I probably wouldn't put up with PSW at all. Your efforts to spread information and opinions is greatly appreciated.

Harvey is such a wonderful resource. His willingness to share his treasure trove of experience is a tremendous asset to the recording world. I want Harvey to live forever and always be healthy because I can't imagine not having him around to share.

So there.

wurly
Old 2nd January 2003
Lives for gear

Re: PSW RecPit

Quote:
Originally posted by wurly
Mixerman used to be one of my favorite poster/moderators until about two weeks into the "Diary". Now his forum is a very tedious soap opera that you couldn't pay me to read. A tragic waste of talent and bandwidth.

wurly
Oh great! Now, by not being a great moderator (in your eyes) I'm somehow wasting my talents.

Just shoot me now.

Mixerman
Old 2nd January 2003
Lives for gear

I had a blast with the Mixerman saga yesterday.....I finally got around checking it out to see what all the noise was about. laughed my ass off. Beats the **** out ov TV( with the exception of Elimidate and the Christina Aguilara diary on MTV.....grggt )

I think the software interface at PSW sucks compared to Gearslutz but still tons of great info and entertainment. I just wish folks wouldn't try so hard to be funny/wind people up to get their kicks, but I guess biz is slow in alot of studios these days and a guy's gotta find something to do...
I'm kinda at a loss for the sucking up to Fletcher but I don't know 1% of what he does about gear so maybe it's warrented. ( really like the Mercenary site though)
Bashing Pro Tools seems to be a sport over there, kinda juvenile, but wtf, gotta bash something if you've got all that time on your hands to debate stuff rather thatn making music.....Happy New Year
Old 2nd January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just shoot me now.

Mixerman
BANG! BANG!
Old 2nd January 2003
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
Bashing Pro Tools seems to be a sport over there, kinda juvenile, but wtf, gotta bash something if you've got all that time on your hands to debate stuff rather thatn making music.....
Ya know, if Pro-Tools didn't suck, there would be no reason to bash it. I used to "bash" adat's too... why? because they suck.

With that said, I think that adats, as well as 'Alsihad' are great writing tools... but absolutely 'sub-standard' for making "product". Did that prevent "Jagged Little Pill" from selling 15+ million units? Hell no. Did that interfere with my enjoyment of the product? Hell yes. I thought the songs and performances on that record almost transcended the piss poor audio quality... but for me, the audio quality most definitely got in the way of the presentation of the emotion displayed on that recording.

Obviously, to 15+million others, it didn't... but to me it did. Similarly, I found the audio from the last Aerosmith record "Just Push Play" to be less than compelling... but the songs and performances were, well it's ****ing Aerosmith, I ****ing dug it.

I sincerely wished the album had better depth in it's final presentation... but maybe that's because I heard elements of the record while it was in production and knew that it had the potential to sound better than it did.

It seems I'm asking a lot... but all I'd really like to hear is the audio support the depth and emotion of the musical statement. I reckon as long as the product sells... this isn't really a factor to anyone but me.
Old 2nd January 2003
Gear maniac

A tragic waste of talent.....

I came to praise Mixerman, not bury him.

Obviously I failed on that mission. I have sorely missed the attention that used to be focussed on "mixing" as well as vibe and other bits of Mixerman wit and wisdom.

Prior to the Mixerman Chronicles I learned a great deal about mixing and diplomacy on the Mixerman forum. Now that information seems to be a sidelight to the Chronicles.

If more Chronicles is the chosen direction of Mixerman on the net, so be it. I did not say that you were failing as a moderator. I did intend to indicate that I liked things better pre-Chronicles. Do what you gotta do, and thanks for sharing.

wurly
Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

The Brazilian guy

Hi!
I love PSW almost 100%. Brad and other friends arevery nice, I post very much in there and I would say that along with Rec Org, they are both my favorite forums. DUC and EQ are reasonable and I am new at the gearslutz, which is becoming a very good discovery for 2003. You guys will see lots of my posts in here now.

Fletcher you are very funny and also share lots of nice info, something that I admire in top talented non ego professionals.

I really do not appreciate MM diary, to me it is a complete loss of time, those fights with the other guy. wash your dirty clothing at hme. Anyway, it is just my opinion. Not the mas talking.

Nika is a genious, I think most just do not understand what he says. He shall have to go to very basic steps so as to make most understand his points. I really like this guy.

For improving, I would recommend you better support at the server, lots of guys are having problems to log in and so.

Keep up the very nice job
Nice 2003 to Gearslutz, PSW, Rec Org, Eq forum

Loading mentioned products ...
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search