The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best and Worst Pro Audio Websites
Old 5th December 2002
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by mdbeh

At the risk of being that person, I'm gonna ask: Is the Jack Ortman stuff a joke or not?

I'm pretty sure it is, but you never know...
Hell if I know. If it is, it's really a pretty good one... if it's not, then we have indeed visited Darwin's waiting room.
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

I like Atlas Pro Audio's Web site because the guy who runs it, Nathan Eldred, is the best.

He talked to me about pro audio -- including advice on equipment I bought from dealers other than Atlas -- for over and hour on his dime.

I haven't bought anything from him yet. But I bet I do.

Jasper
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

Atlas Pro Audio is one of the most exceptional Web stores one can find on the internet. Not only is the Web site consumer friendly and easy to navigate, they also carry a comprehensive inventory of gear. Along with their excellent customer service, Nathan Eldred has provided me with friendly and professional advice. Speaking from from personal experiences, Nathan's recommendations have always been nothing but great. Im a Customer for Life.
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

For pure hilarity, you can't beat the Sweetwater Web site. If you stay there long enough and keep your eyes open, you'll find something to amuse you.

This morning I read this:

Monster Cable • M1000D.5M
.5 Meter S/PDIF Cable
M Series Silver Digital
$70.00

And then I read this:

Monster Cable • M1000D1M
3' Silver S/PDIF Cable
M Series Silver Digital
$55.00

To encapsulate -- The one-meter cable is $55, the half-meter cable $70.

New Sweetwater moto:

"Buy half as much for just a few dollars more!"

Of course, it's nothing personal. I love them in that special way that gear sluts love pro audio dealers who could possibly screw up and accidentally send them something for free.

Jasper
Old 11th December 2002
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
I don't know if it's a "best" or "worst"... but it certainly had me halfway to tears.... Jack Ortman Audio
We're probobly going to hell for laughing at this poor guy but I have to say it is the funniest thing I have seen on the web in a while!

M.
Old 12th December 2002
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Hell if I know. If it is, it's really a pretty good one... if it's not, then we have indeed visited Darwin's waiting room.
The jury is still out for me on whether or not Jack is for real, but you have to see his UAD-Bomb Factory Shootout (apparently, he isn't too fond of BF):

http://oxygenhose.com/pages/reviews/reetard1.html

And while there, check out the "Attack of the Clones" reviews done by who knows who:

http://oxygenhose.com/pages/reviews/.../plugwars.html

Maybe it's too much Onion, but I can't seem to figure out what's real anymore. <g>

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX
Old 12th December 2002
There is only one

oxygenhose is a dip****.

i finally went to the empirical labs site and it is gawd awful ugly.
Old 12th December 2002
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by John W. LeBlanc
The jury is still out for me on whether or not Jack is for real, but you have to see his UAD-Bomb Factory Shootout (apparently, he isn't too fond of BF)...

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX
Well, that settles it. I was going to stock up Bomb Factory Plugins but if Jack says no, then that's all I need to hear.

I think that since the UAD EQ makes dogs bark and the portable PCI card has green on it, then it's definitely a winner! Even if I might have to sand it down a little.

Besides, Jack's been doing this for 15yrs. If I can't trust Jack, then who can I trust??
Old 13th December 2002
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by RSMITH123
Jack's been doing this for 15yrs. If I can't trust Jack, then who can I trust??
John Oram ?

/Mats
Old 13th December 2002
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally posted by RSMITH123

Besides, Jack's been doing this for 15yrs. If I can't trust Jack, then who can I trust??

John La Grou

Old 14th December 2002
Lives for gear

What does that mean?
Old 15th December 2002
Bob
Gear Head

On any website (or in any audiomagazine for that matter) I hate all of the following:

1. £ POA, £ CALL, £ CALL FOR YOUR BEST PRICE, £ LOW, £ LOWEST, £ BEST UK DEAL, £ LOWEST EVER, £ TOO LOW TO PRINT, £ EMAIL FOR PRICE, £ BEST, £ LOWEST UK PRICE, £ CALL FOR INTRODUCTORY DEALS, and all even less imaginative variants and in whatever currency and country!

2. Multimedia, flash, movie gimmicks and idiotlights which give no information at all and just slow things down.

Cheers, Bob.

Old 16th December 2002
Here for the gear

Hi,

It's pretty obvious at this point that I'm fresh to the forums... But since a few of the topics I see caught my eye, I figured it's as good a time as any to chime in. ;D Oh, I must admit, these are the coolest smilies I've ever seen. fuuck

Bob,

Actually, from the way I understand it, oftimes merchants are under contract from vendors not to disclose their "for sale" price in print advertising. It's why places like Guitar Center list the suggested retail price (crossed out! extremely low prices for one week only!) and makes you call or come in for the real price. Supposedly this also helps manufacturers and distributers give better prices to some retailers, since their competition can't just dial up their catalogue and see what their mark-up is like.

Lee pretty much hit it on the head...web design is like anything else, you can have and operate the tools, but actually knowing what you're doing is something completely different!

I haven't seen many manufacturer's sites that I *like*. Each one has at least 2 major, glaring flaws...such as complete un-navigability (try looking THAT up in your dictionary!). Manley labs probably comes closest, but even they're a little cluttered and have some 'hidden' pages. Of any audio related site I've visited, props have to go to Mercenary Audio. There are a fair number of studio websites that are well-done, but that's a little beyond the scope of this thread.. Of course, there ARE good ones out there, such as rane.com, but the problem is, while they're informational and easy to navigate, they don't really stand out either. =/ Korg, Roland, Steinberg, etc. all suck...because while navigation (ex, Korg) *seems* intuitive and user-friendly, it's next to impossible to get any real information from the bunch.

I've done a fair share of web design (I don't run a "real" studio, so it helps pay the bills) and it's painful how many bad sites there are out there. Especially bad "professional" sites. The only thing worse than bad design is proprietary languages (Flash, FrontPage/ASP, etc). Ugh! You either 1) do the *Exact* same site TWICE, exactly the same each way, or 2) force the user to leave your site and download and install a component that will work in 9 out of 10 browsers, but probably not the one they're working with. I'd offer free consulting & coding to some of these places (I like their products that much!) but try getting someone to take an offer like that seriously. =P

Signing out...
Old 16th December 2002
Bob
Gear Head

Hello gabrielk,

I hear what you are saying. But what is the problem with at least mentioning the SRP? Of course you have to shop for the right price, but often you don't even get to know what kind of price you might expect.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 17th December 2002
Gear interested

Here's my 2 cents based on the audio-related sites I visit most often (which doesn't include too many hi-end outlets): The best looking audio site I've seen is also one of the worst: mackie.com. I was in the market for a small board and I found it annoying and uninformative. In contrast, soundcraft.com, while looking a bit dumpy, was much better. Oddly, I was turned off by the glossy hard sell at mackie and appreciated the straightforwardness of the soundcraft.com site. I appreciate it when a company offers me the information and allows it to do the selling.

I think digidesign's site strikes a good balance. Their site is is clean and looks nice and offers useful info. It isn't the easiest site to navigate, but its not terrible (considering the site's breadth) and their Digizine is pretty good. I'm a Digital Performer user and motu.com is borderline embarrassing with its Apple "inspired" design and underwhelming functionality. What's odd about that is DP is really well designed visually, whereas PT is sort of utilitarian.

For online magazines, the Electronic Musician site isn't too good; it's quite cramped and its search function is poor. The entire magazine is available for free but I'd rather pay for it than read that tiny text, which is set in stone by a style sheet. Sound on Sound recently improved their search engine, which was pretty good to begin with. The design is sort of mid-90's but it's easy enough to navigate and they maintain a sort of middle-of-the-road integrity. Not very sexy but reliable.

Some other good ones: martinguitar.com, neumann.com, audiotechnica.com, taylorguitars.com. Some bad ones: fender.com, shure.com, epiphone.com, gibson.com, rolandus.com
Old 18th December 2002
Gear interested

mmmh, so i guess no one here will like our [flash-ed] site :(
there is also a html version, but i *know* you won't like.

sight

i told them, believe me
i have to give them the Jack Ortman's site as example to follow. simple, precise, and clear!

btw, i love this Jack Ortman advice : mixes should sound good in mono, listen to each speaker seperately.

cheers,
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search