The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Minimal Drum Micing
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Minimal Drum Micing

Do you have any advice on minimal drum micing , for rock music ? Getting a great sound with only 4 channels ? Thanks ,
Old 16th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
Do you have any advice on minimal drum micing , for rock music ? Getting a great sound with only 4 channels ? Thanks ,
I think for me, the most important thing for successful minimal micing on drums, is how the drums are played. It becomes a way way bigger issue when you don't have a lot of control over the balance of the individual drums or cymbals in the kit. I have had a lot better luck with it when I am playing drums myself. At this point I can't say that I am much of a drummer, because I just don't play very often, but the one thing I've gotten pretty good at is playing the drums so they sound balanced through microphones. I use to always have one mic setup up on my drum kit when I use to practice or play to Zeppelin records. I would listen back to the recordings and it slowly just started changing how I played. I play with a very heavy foot and very controlled hands. I play the cymbals very soft while still hitting the snare a sort of medium hard as consistently as I can. I never bash any of the cymbals ever. A good example of me playing to try and accomodate minimal micing is the Persephonees Bees 'Notes from The Underworld' record. There are some songs on the record that are only 2 mics and most of it is 5 mics or less.

Minimal micing on rock stuff sometimes is impossible. For example, Mark O'connell is a way way better drummer than I am, but it would be absolutely impossible to record his drums with one or two or four microphones. he plays insanely hard and breaks cymbals all the time. I have to use close mics to maintain a balance between the punch of the drums and the aggressive wash of the cymbals. As much as I love minimal micing, I would never ask him to play the way I do because it wouldn't sound like Mark O'connell and that would suck for TBS.

I was able to pull off a minimal approach on the Slash song 'By The Sword' because Josh was able to play in that very controlled heavy foot way when I asked him to... and it suited the song. That song is basically 4 mics.

With that in mind, this post in the "underheads" thread is a really good example of one of my favorite ways to use 4 mics on a kit.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5364374-post6.html

EV
Old 17th August 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks Eric ! I did exactly what you said and it sounds great . Heavy Kick , Medium Snare and very soft cymbals , Mono mic in front of the kit with some Low End EQ added , like in the underheads thread , and it sounds REALLY good . I'm gonna practice recording myself with the one mic and continue to adjust my playing and get it down . Very cool , thanks for the help !
Old 17th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev33 View Post
I think for me, the most important thing for successful minimal micing on drums, is how the drums are played. It becomes a way way bigger issue when you don't have a lot of control over the balance of the individual drums or cymbals in the kit.

.....SNIP.....

I use to always have one mic setup up on my drum kit when I use to practice or play to Zeppelin records. I would listen back to the recordings and it slowly just started changing how I played. I play with a very heavy foot and very controlled hands. I play the cymbals very soft while still hitting the snare a sort of medium hard as consistently as I can. I never bash any of the cymbals ever.
This is so right on the money...
Can we put this on a T shirt?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search