The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fairlight CMI
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear

Fairlight CMI

Hi Alan !

Thanks for taking the time to do this Q&A. It is a priviliege to get so much invaluable information from someone with such a trackrecord.

I understand that you used the Fairlight CMI in the eighties. What are your memories of that ?

Did you do much own sampling or did you rely on factory libraries?

Did you ever use the german alternative, the PPG System ?

Thanks,

WT

ps. I can remember the day I met you. I was in the mist of mixing some artist at a concert when all of a sudden the head of the sound-department at the High Scool in town showed up with a very tall guy. Both of you were looking over my shoulder as I mixed.....I couldn´t quite hear him introduce you as it was full concert. You didn´t stay too long, and after you left I realised it was you ! lol

This was in the north of Sweden, close to the polar circle...1997ish....ds
Old 1st June 2010
Special guest

The Fairlight was a very useful tool for me. I did quite a bit of sampling but the results were often frustrating with only 8 bits. I used the Page R sequencer a lot - it was the basis for Sirius with a Fairlight-sampled Clavinet.

I did use the PPG for a while with Richard Cottle, but I never owned one. The Emulator was also an often used sampler. I knew it was time to sell the Fairlight at the point the Emulator came out.

Was it Nils Landgren that you were mixing in Sweden? Loved his version of Oleta Adams' Get Here If You Can.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search