The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your mix on Ambrosia's Holdin' On to Yesterday
Old 9th May 2010
Lives for food

Your mix on Ambrosia's Holdin' On to Yesterday

Hey Alan-

I've always liked this one on several levels. The song is great and the mix has a great build throughout. There is actually a lot happening in there with tons of instruments/voices moving in and out from beginning to end. The build at the end is also fantastic.

Do you remember working on this one at all? In the hands of a non-pro, this could've ended up very cluttered mess imo. Instead, it's very well balanced throughout with things dropping back and coming back in in a very cool way. I'm not even sure how all this stuff fit on 24 tracks if that was the type of machine used for the band in 1975.

Is this another example of loading tape and you just sort of knew where to go with the mix? Or maybe had to really figure out how to bring all these elements in and out ? I especially love the way that violin interacts.

I don't know about you, but I can't seem to mix this kind of stuff on my daw. I almost always move over to my old 3700 with its vca faders to "play" mixes together rather than assemble.

Anyway, I learn (or try to learn) a lot by simply listening to all the varied things you get involved with.
Old 1st June 2010
Special guest

It was a great track to work on - the standard of recording was very high on the whole album. The violin was mixed pretty much exactly as played - but this album was very much a hands on mix - no automation and lots of edits.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search