The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
10 at 10?
Old 9th May 2010
Lives for gear

10 at 10?

I heard a rumor that you liked to track things "10 at 10" i.e. +10 dB at 10K when going to tape. In another thread, Brian Roth asked about noise floor on your recordings, and if this is true, I'm sure it could have a lot to do with it (for those unfamiliar, you can always roll off the top if you don't need which turns down hiss, and you don't have to add as much, if any top and additional hiss for dull elements). First, is the 10 at 10 rumor true? If so, is it a key to keeping low noise floor on tape or are there other reasons to do this? Thanks from a huge fan of your work!
Old 20th May 2010
Special guest

I'm not frightened of EQ but there is no truth in this. I would automatically put 10 in at 10 on ribbon mics for drum overheads but I have only occasionally used + EQ going in followed by - EQ coming out as a noise reduction tool. Low pass filtering is often a good way to reduce hiss. And Noise gates set "politely" on a mix help too. In the digital age I do not use gates for noise reduction.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search