The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing Live Albums
Old 4th June 2012
Gear Nut

Mixing Live Albums

Hi Al,

First off, thanks so much for doing this. Your records are my gold standard! Just wondering what you do differently when recording (and/or) mixing a live record as apposed to a studio record. Granted when you're doing Krall records with everyone in the same room, it's essentially a live record - but how do you approach things like room mic levels, monitor bleed and heavily multi-mic'd orchestras (a la Chris Botti Live in Boston)?

Thanks!

Alex Chaloff
Old 8th June 2012
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcdrum View Post
Hi Al,

First off, thanks so much for doing this. Your records are my gold standard! Just wondering what you do differently when recording (and/or) mixing a live record as apposed to a studio record. Granted when you're doing Krall records with everyone in the same room, it's essentially a live record - but how do you approach things like room mic levels, monitor bleed and heavily multi-mic'd orchestras (a la Chris Botti Live in Boston)?

Thanks!

Alex Chaloff
Good question Alex. It can be a bit tricky. We try and set up the band so that they are all comfortable, and can see and hear properly. Then I try to pick the right mics and use the patterns for as much isolation as I can get. After that it's just balance. We usually hang a few mics in the audience that we use in the surrounds if it's a 5.1 mic. In the past we've used clip on mics for the strings. Sometimes it works, usually they don't sound very good but can be helpful when if problems arise. Al
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search