The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Michael Franks' "Sleeping Gypsy", "The Art of Tea" etc...
Old 30th May 2012
Gear maniac

Michael Franks' "Sleeping Gypsy", "The Art of Tea" etc...

Thank you Sir for hanging out with us!

I would love to hear a bit about Michael Franks' 70s albums that you worked on; in particular my favorites "The Art of Tea" and "Sleeping Gypsy". Can you share some info on how they were recorded/mixed?

They have such a great combination of dry/funky rhythm section, lush strings and of course Michael Franks' voice delivering those clever lyrics over rich harmonies.

Was the rhythm section recorded live? Even the strings at the same time? Especially I would love to know about recording the drums and the Rhodes piano (I'm a keyboardist myself). Also if you could share some info on recording/mixing the string section.

About Michael's vocals; what chain did you use? What reverb? It sounds like he's singing at a low volume (does he?), which to me always made it sound very intimate.

Thanks in advance!
Old 1st June 2012
Special Guest

When we recorded Michael, It was at Capitol A and the rhythm section was all in the main room, we overdubbed Michaels vocals, he was on a Tele U47 and we used a 1076 limiter pulling about 1 to 11/2 dbs. He does sing very softly. We had everyone around the drums all very close, no earphones. We overdubbed the strings and I used Neumann U67s on the violins and viola and KM 84s on Celli. On the Rhodes we took it with a good direct box but im not sure which one. Sorry about that. Al
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search