The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sam Cooke - Shake Condenser Microphones
Old 28th May 2012
Gear interested

Sam Cooke - Shake

Hi Al, thanks for doing this. I am a big fan of your work with Sam Cooke & love the sound of the song “Shake” in particular.

I was wondering if you could share any details from that session that you recall (or any sessions with Sam), like what microphone Sam used, how were the drums miked in the room and how did you achieve such a huge reverb sound on Shake?

The energy & the sonic hugeness seem perfectly captured on Shake, it's one of my favorites!

Thanks for your time,
Matt
Old 29th May 2012
Special Guest

Sam was my favorite artist to work with, he was amazing in the studio. when we were working on these recordings there was little or no mixing, I used a Tele U47 on his vocals and this is still my preference on vocals. No eq and no compresson, RCA had 5 live chambers and I used them all on this recording. Its hard to find good live chambers thats one of the reasons I love mixing and recording at Capitol, they have 8 live chambers all sounding different. My personal favorite is No. 4. Sam and I became very good friends and Im sorry to say I had dinner with him the night he was shot. If you need more info on this please let me know. Al
Old 29th May 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Schmitt View Post
Sam was my favorite artist to work with, he was amazing in the studio. when we were working on these recordings there was little or no mixing, I used a Tele U47 on his vocals and this is still my preference on vocals. No eq and no compresson, RCA had 5 live chambers and I used them all on this recording. Its hard to find good live chambers thats one of the reasons I love mixing and recording at Capitol, they have 8 live chambers all sounding different. My personal favorite is No. 4. Sam and I became very good friends and Im sorry to say I had dinner with him the night he was shot. If you need more info on this please let me know. Al
Hello Al,

Thanks so much for sharing that.

Even though before my time, Sam has always been a favourite. Such a beautifully unique artist.

I've often thought that many lesser talented artist's of Sam's era received more credit than Sam - also feel his stock will rise over time, with his great catalogue...it just has too.
Old 29th May 2012
Gear nut

The death of Sam Cooke was truly tragic and the circumstances baffling. One of the greatest voices I've ever heard.
Old 30th May 2012
Special Guest

Sam Cooke was one of the most influencial singers of all time, many of singers copy his phrasing. Steve Perry, Rod Stewart etc.
so
Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search