The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your use of compression
Old 24th May 2012
Gear Addict

Your use of compression

Hi Al,
Big fan of your work, especially the George Benson stuff over the years. I've read a few of your interviews where you mention you use very little compression on your recordings. I did a whole album after this using virtually no compression at all on anything (a db or so of la-2 on a piano part that was bothering me), inspired by your words and approach. It turned out okay but not as good as it could be. I know everytime I've tried to record clean guitars or jazz guitars I almost always need compression.

I've tried riding the fader but do not get the sound heard on so many records, including yours. It just sounds extremely peaky, amateurish and its a constant battle to get it to fit without jumping around too much.

Was just wondering how much compression, what sort of compressors you generally use during tracking and mixing and how you get everything to sit so nice in your mixes.

Thanks so much for doing this.
Old 24th May 2012
Good question... I am also quite curious about this...
Old 27th May 2012
Special Guest

I use Summit TLA 100a on the bass but I just tap it maybe 1db at most, I use the Fairchild660 on vocals and do the same just 1db, I use it for the sound of the tubes in the fairchild. I hope this helps.Al
Old 4th June 2012
Special Guest

I dont quite know how to answer this, I ride the vocals all the time and do so on other instruments, I think maybe you need to practice a bit more, Im sure you will get it down with a little more pratice. Al
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search